Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nature Well beef.

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked this 8lber up 40-45 days ago. Let it bloat in the fridge awhile. :woohoo:
nwbf1.jpg
Trimmed and ready for a food saver, except one. ;)
Nice marbling.
nwbf2.jpg

Mike

Comments

• BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    OK now that's how you do steaks :ohmy: . I have wanted to do that for some time but wasn't sure what cut to look for or where to find them locally. Did you cut them yourself and will you freeze some of them now in foodsaver? Also how long is too long for the aging process; I bought some 60 day aged filets at a butcher shop once, man were they awesome? Sorry for all of the questions but I have been in search of the perfect steak (homemade)for several years now and think I am pretty close. That also seems like quite a bargain buying it whole.
  • Migs
    Migs Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi guys,

Just a suggestion: Don't freeze beef if you can avoid it. Freezing really kills the flavor later. In general it's best to buy only what you plan to cook right away.

All the best,

Migs
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    There is wet aging and dry aging. Stike does the dry aging. I spent 20 years in the grocery busines, so I cut them my self. Just get a good knife. Cry-o-vac and freeze. I go 45 days, but stores only go 30.
    These are select, so you can see the difference in marbling between choice and select. Choice $5.99, select $2.99 for the whole loin.
    kcstrip3.jpg

Shoot me an e-mail at
    mjm1000 at aol.com
    I can send a transcript of the class I taught on it.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    And your credentials are?

Mike
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Let me guess...Those were going to be for the Omaha Fest. LOL. Those look good. Why dont you bring them to the roundup and I can sample for you.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    After party. Give me break Dog, you know my circumstances. It is a few months away, so I have time to screw everything up. :ohmy: :woohoo:
    But Springfield is not going to be that great of a fest.

Mike
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    Migs

Sounds like Carwash Mike did not like you entering his "area of expertise" . When you state that it is best not to freeze beef, it does go against my experience with buying larger pieces of meat and then cutting and freezing. I have not found that freezing affected the taste at all. Have you had a different experience?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I ask for his credentials, he may have a valid point, but never happened to me.
    I will tell you one thing. That was the absolutely the most tender ribeye I have ever had. I wish I would have bought 2. Oh, I did one for prime rib. :woohoo:
    Now I wish I would have bought more.
    I'm on board with Nature Well beef.

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    LOL first pic looked like one of my exrays. 2'nd pic made me hungry. Know it had to come out good.
    My exray also came back as cook to med. rare and no more. :woohoo: :woohoo: :blush:
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Surprised Outdoor Home isn't putting that one on down there. They have a huge egg showroom.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    That is who is putting it on.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Hey Pat, it was without a doubt the best ribeye I have ever had. Fidel and I are hooking up Monday. What a pair to draw to? :woohoo: Looking forward to it.
    Mike
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Gotcha. I was impressed with their store last year when I was down there. They have everything.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Glad it worked out. Was gonna Email the # when I got it tonight but no need now. Look forward to seeing you in Atlanta.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Everything but a good eggfest. No meet and greet, no music, no after party, no classes.

Mike
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    Thanks Mike for the email, GREAT INFO! What's the story on the Natural Well beef?
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Agree that is some great marbling. Every one is so healthy these days and doesn't want any fat yet complane when the meat is dry and with out taste. Moderation in all things. I had reather have a good marbled stake 2x a month than a dry, lean one 2x a week!!
  • Migs
    Options
    Hi all:

Didn't mean to cause a ruckus with the comment on freezing beef, but it's true.
    I live in Bolivia and grilling is a major pastime of mine, as it is with most Latin Americans. If I had to give a reason for not doing so it is simply experience. I have several restaurant owner friends that are of Argentine learning in this area, and they have confirmed that it is not a good idea to freeze beef. Even the vacuum packed beef that is exported from Argentina isn't frozen. Granted, this puts stiff requirements on the time to consumption, but the advantage is very good taste and texture. Thawing from frozen also leads to a drying out of the meat and makes it taste more like cardboard. I can fully understand in the US there are regulations, fears of litigation, and other market factors which oblige meat purveyors to adopt a more safe approach to meat sales, but some of these are certainly detrimental to taste and texture. Here you can buy the meat right off the slab that was butchered yesterday or this morning-in the US its very unlikely because the cow is usually not very close to the final consumer. -Migs
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i think a good bit of it is subjective, to be honest.

for example, though it might be available from that morning's slaughter, there are those who would say the carcass minimally needs to be hung for a few days simply to go thru rigor (mortis). beef that doesn't go thru rigor has a different flavor than fresh-slaughtered. after rigor, better beef is usually aged (even before even further dry-aging or wet-aging).

so... i submit there are very few people on earth who could tell the difference between fresh steak (that morning), aged, frozen, frozen aged, etc.

mike's wet-aging is going to substantially alter (improve) the flavor of the beef, and i'd submit that freezing it (vacuum-packed) doesn't hurt it more than the aging helps.

who knows.

nice problem to have
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Migs
    Options
    I Googled about and found this article on the detriments of freezing meat:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Special-Diets-768/Freezing-Meat.htm

Some of what it says:

"The general consensus seems to be that freezing foods damages cell wall integrity as well as resulting in a loss of nutrients and vitamins(and a reduction in PH value, I seem to recall). The damage to cell wall integrity means that the nutrients in the food will deteriorate faster than normal after thawing. There is also a definite loss in the taste and texture of animal(and plant) foods after freezing"

He does temper the observation later in the article, and provides a number of sources. -Migs
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    carwash mike wrote:
    Picked this 8lber up 40-45 days ago. Let it bloat in the fridge awhile. :woohoo:

Mike

mike, what does bloat in the fridge mean???
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    The bag bloats towards the end of the 45 days.

Mike
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    carwash mike wrote:
    The bag bloats towards the end of the 45 days.

Mike

as in swells up?

i have a lot to learn about meat.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Just a little.

Mike