Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home made plate setter for mini

emilluca
emilluca Posts: 673
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to try this on stuffed fritos shells will let everyone know how well it works
Brackets using pc case slot brackets:
becky027.jpg
Took an 8 inch pizza stone from Amazon and ground it down to allow air flow
becky026.jpg
Will put rack on top. There is about 1 inch of space between the stone and rack.
Mini and Large on table
becky033.jpg

E

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    That's really cool.... Maybe BGE will make a platesetter for the mini one day!! Great EGGinuity!
    Saw your earlier post for the beer can chicken I would like to pull that off on my mini too :)
    ~Pharmeggist
  • NOt sure if those are stainless, but some metals when they get hot leach a poison into the air...
  • emilluca
    The bracket is stainless steel. I am not worried,
  • emilluca
    It sure had the same flavor smoke and moistness that the large gave me for the 5 whole birds I did last week. Just the wife and I so most cooks will be on the mini. Heck the Purdue chicken was on sale for .49 cents a lb Great $2.00 meal.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    no no no.

please, stop repeating this myth stuff.

at the temps at which galvanized products become an issue (that would be 1800+, welding temps), stainless itself would be just as bad.

there is no way any metal (copper, galvy, stainless, etc.) is going to cause problems in your egg.

NOW. just to beat thise dead horse even deader. let's assume that they give off something horrible, like carbon monoxide gas. that's truly deadly. (the fumes from galvy aren't deadly). so, mystery-metal "X" will give off carbon monoxide when you use it in an egg. anyone worried? the correct answer is 'no. because your egg gives off dealy carbon monoxide gas EVERY SINGLE TIME you use it.

if you are not worrieed about that (because you are in a well ventilated area), then you needn't worry about galvy. that is, in addition to the fact that it can't off gas in the egg anyway.

GAAAR!!!

i'm off to cook some chicken that i thawed rfor eight hours on the counter in my lead lined galvanized unwashed roasting pan, using kerosene to start the egg.

(please take this in the spirit of hyperbole it was intended in. but YEESH. folks. puh-leeze stop with warnings about stuff unless you definitively know what you are warning about...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • emilluca,

Looks great. I would like to make one as well.

I was wondering how you cut the stone down.

Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim
    Snellville, GA
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    227fd50f.jpg

Thought you might get a kick out of this....it's a plate setter I made for my small Egg years ago. I use a stainless steel pie pan for the drip pan.

f0d591e1.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    What did you use to cut the stone?

I have the mini woo2 and I am going to try using it directly on the firebox to see if I can do a chicken the same way.

Great cook and ingenuity.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I figured you'd chime in on this one....
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    and ANOTHER THING, buddy.....

hahaha

it's not that guy's fault. it's just way more fun to say "hey, i heard..." than it is to actually find the answer.

you know, cigars'll kill you before galvy fumes, fidel.

:whistle:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • emilluca
    Stationary Belt sander. Just worked it around. Actually the stone came and in the directions from the manufacture it suggested if the surface was to rough for you use a belt sander to smooth. I just followed that advice on the sides. I expect to fine tune it as I see how it works. There were two 8 inch pizza stones for 14.00 on Amazon so I have an extra if I go to far or just want direct and pizza.
    E
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Very handy. Great work.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Very Cool. What purpose does the additional tab serve?