Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Onion with the beef boullion trick

Options
Chef Charles
Chef Charles Posts: 871
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DynaGreaseball passed along an idea for doing up onions on the BGE ...

DynaGreaseball wrote:
Get one of those smaller, round white onions...not a Vidalia. Slice the top and the bottom off and peel it, and with a small spoon or a melon baller, carve out a cavity in the top of the onion. Put one of those beef boullion cubes down in the cavity--you know, they are about 1/2 inch cubed and usually wrapped up in foil.

Then, put the whole thing in HDAF with an opening at the top. Cook on the egg at about 350-400 for about an hour. (Same way you'd do a baked potato). The juices from the onion will be contained by the HDAF and the boullion flavor will permeate the whole onion. Really nice side, and very convenient for the egg. Have fun.

Well, I did not have a beef boullion cube so I used some concentrate beef boullion instead and poured it over some cooking onions and cooked them for about an hour at 400. They turned out fantastic. In fact, my wife who does not like to eat onions loved them.

Thanks DynaGreaseball for the idea.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    We do these too. If I want to dress them up I use a dutch oven and fill it with quartered onions. add a couple tbs of beef bullion and 1/2 c red wine. a tbs of butter. cook till soft and top with croûtons and grated swiss cheese. yummy
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Sounds like onion soup, sort of...

Nice idea.

GG
  • wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    Another twist on the onion trick: Instead of using a melon baller to scoop out the top just cut down on the onion about 3/4 of the height of the onion in 4 to 8 sections. Place a pat of butter in each of the sections and wrap in HD foil, leaving the top open. Add in a good helping of worcestershire sauce and close up the foil. Cook in egg about the same way you'd do potatos. This one won't taste like onion soup B)

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Options
    I did two Vidalia's this weekend. Bullion cube and a pat of butter on each one in a HDAF "bomb". 350 for 1-1/2 hours. Came out spectacular, tasted just like French Onion soup. mmmmmmmmmm ;)
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    So proud you guys tried my onion bouillon cook, and enjoyed it. I've gotten so many great ideas from this forum, it's nice to be able to contribute something.