Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt - First attempt

Options
dls2122
dls2122 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought my EGG (1st) just before the 4th of July and all my cooks (many) have gone really well, but each time I've tried something new I have been more curious about how they'd turn out than nervous. I have to admit - I was very nervous before making this Butt. When do I put it on - 200 - 225 - 250? What do I do if it's not done or done too early? A lot of postings on this forum kind of put me in the right direction, but I was still very nervous. So - got up at 3:30 to start the egg at 4 to put hte butt on at 5AM wanting to eat around 5:30PM (figured 12 hours for a 7 1/2 pounder). Plugged in a remote thermometer and started pacing. I've never watched temps close before and was suprised (horrified) at how quick the meat went to 150. I don't want this for LUNCH! But then everything slowed down. I hit 200 at 3:15 and used the trick of wrapping it in foil and plaing in a towel lined cooler for a couple hours (that I picked up here - thanks). At 5:15 took it out - it was still steaming. Are you kidding me?

Turned out this was my favorite cook yet. I was hoping to get 2 meals out of this butt. Didn't happen. 1 meal and a snack. Thank you to everyone on the forum who's advise I used and all the interesting reading whose advice I haven't had a chance to use yet.

Don

Comments

• Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    What dome temp did you settle on?
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    Options
    Well - I started at 250, but then panics when the butt's temp raised so quickly so dropped it to 200. I'm not very experienced with the egg yet and had trouble keeping it there so just crossed my fingers and let it go at 250. turns out I was worried about nothing. I alsmost wonder if sitting in the cooler for a couple hours didn't actually help the moisture. I'd be interested in hearing comments about that.

Thanks,
    Don
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Here are the pics.

Vidalia used tostidos and used a vegetable tray - one of those holey things. The tosditos are uniform in size and therefore they all cook about evenly - besides that I like em. I think the tosditos and veggie tray are improvements. See Vidalias post further down the page.

My pics

101_2913800x600.jpg

101_2917800x600.jpg

Have some left over stuffing - stuff a few potatoes
    101_2919800x600.jpg

Get out of the way - these geaux phast :laugh:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Man!! Did I get lost on this post or what? Should have been a little bit lower.