Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another gasket question

Options
Pitmaster
Pitmaster Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need a new gasket. Which kind should I get and where do I get it?
I just made a pizza on my XL that is less than a month old. Problem is, I saw smoke coming out of the back of the egg. I opened it and the gasket was coming off. Well, instead of having it go back inside the egg, I pulled it to the outside and closed and finished the pizza...just a couple of minutes. When I opened the egg to take out the pizza, more gasket came off. I was cooking at 400-450 degrees. I Have done all low cooks up to today. Probably 5 cooks in all. The last one was yesterday, when I did a brisket, two chickens, mac & cheese and baked beans. The egg was cooking a total of 20 hours for all that. The temps were 250 for the brisket and chickens, then took it up to 350 for the mac & cheese and the beans. I thought for sure the gasket would have been "cured" by then. Any other thoughts?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Pitmaster,

BGE recomends you use a Nomex which can be purchased directly from BGE.

I really don't agree with the curing method, but when I replace a gasket I don't tempt fate either. I do keep my dome under 500° for a few cooks.

If one has an air leak in the alignment they are most likely going to have a gasket failure with the original felt gasket. There have been posts after posts with the same problem - poor alignment and resulting gasket failure. It has happened to m too.

It would be great if every new egg there was a notice advising to check for poor alignment before lighting the egg.

If you dealer assembled your egg, call them explain what happened & see if they will help you and/or call BGE explain what happened and see what they say. When you repalce your gasket use Nomex.

If you decide to us a non BGE gasket take a minute to call BGE and ask them for their advice and why.

For a easy & quick way to remove and replace a gasket see the post linked below.

Just another thought... You could do a patch, that is replace the damaged section only. Make sure you align the dome/base so there are no leaks.

GG

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=475706&catid=1
  • Pitmaster
    Pitmaster Posts: 74
    Options
    Thanks for the info!