Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT a/c

Options
"Sparky"
"Sparky" Posts: 6,024
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted my dinner pics for the night and went in to clean up.I noticed that it was warmer than normal.I checked the thermo,it was 79* inside :huh: I went and checked the outside unit,and the fan wasn't working :pinch: I ,being very cheap,rigged up a fan on the ac unit,but,apparently,the condenser also took a crap :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

020-5.jpg

022-3.jpg

Well,it didn't work,and it is 81* inside :ohmy: I can't get anyone over here tonight,so I guess that we'll sweat it out :sick: :(

Why me??????????????????? :(

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    ok stupid question... but is it possible that the yellow wire that (from your picture) looks to be above the fan grate is frayed?????

also look at your unit.. when mine quit working last year (it was low on freon) there was a connector that actually accumilated ice on the outside... if you throw some hot water on that piece it may cool until it ices up again....

also HD has some box fans for $10-$12 that might be helpful until the work week resumes ;)

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Unknown
    Options
    if you have any questions about the a/c unit just ask me. I just happen to own a hvac company and know everything there is to know about them.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Good luck man, I have been without AC two times in two years, not fun. I have no idea how they used to do it, but I gotta have my AC, its a necessity of life.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Thanks TB,but the fan is out of the unit,sitting upside down on top of my 4 wheeler.I wish the wire was frayed,as I lay here on my workbench in my barn :( At least I have ac out here :whistle:
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Het grillmaster,thanks.Here is my problem,it's f'n hot.Can you fix that? :lol:;) Just kidding man.I noticed that it was warmer than normal inside,so I checked the thermo,it was 79* inside.Wholly sh!t.The thermostat was calling for cool,but it wasn't coming :( .I checked the outside unit,and the fan was locked up :pinch: So,I removed the fan and replaced it with my temporary fan.When I turned the power back on,I could hear the compressor trying to come on.I couldn't get the stupid POS to work,so I am sleeping in my AC'ed barn.while my wife and son are sweating it out in the house.I am hoping to get someone out here tomorrow :whistle: $$$$$$$$$$
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    I don't know if I told you my story a few weeks ago, but there was a bug in my relay switch that kicked on the ac unit outside. A bug had gone in the exact spot that a little kick switch struck and lodged him in. It would be nice if it was something that simple and cheap for you. You said you are sleeping in the barn, you posted up on the riding mower? That puppy was comfy! Good luck man, hope to see you next week if you haven't melted.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Thanks Barrett,I don't think i'll melt out here.At least the A/C works :woohoo: I hope that I don't need to replace the whole unit,I damn sure can't afford that :( I'm gonna take a nap and look at it in a few hours :pinch:
  • crawdad
    crawdad Posts: 115
    Options
    We get fireants in the relay sometimes and it'll lock it up...just like the bug mentioned earlier.
    I just had my unit services for doing exactly what yours is...turn the system on and the unit outside wouldn't run but it had a hum like it was straining to run. The problem? A capacitor gone bad. Cost with labor: $90.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    From that pic I can see the outside of the unit is filthy which won't let it cool and will cause it to freeze up. It would help if you could remove all of the dirt and leave from the base, it's just getting sucked into it, causing troubles. IMHO. It has probabley thawed by the time you read this, but it will continue to freeze up until it gets clean,I think.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    From that pic I can see the outside of the unit is filthy which won't let it cool and will cause it to freeze up. It would help if you could remove all of the dirt and leave from the base, it's just getting sucked into it, causing troubles. IMHO. It has probabley thawed by the time you read this, but it will continue to freeze up until it gets clean,I think.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    AHHH Maine, :cheer: the way life should be. I have a small window fan in the bedroom that we have plugged in 3 times so far this year :whistle:
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    That's terrific! Does it double as a snow-blower during the other seasons? 8 - )
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    Had the same thing happen to me Friday. Luckily I got someone out the same day.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Thanks Big'un.I hosed it off after I sealed the temporary fan to the unit.The unit isn't freezing up though :( I thought that it was just the fan motor.But when I rigged up this fancy fan :blush: it still wouldn't work.I think the compressor is shot along with the fan motor.I've checked the contactor and it seems fine. :(

030-1.jpg
  • Unknown
    Options
    your capacitor is more than likely bad if nothing outside is running and the contactor is pulled in without a tripped breaker. it is shaped like a beer can, located in the elec compartment. if swollen, it is definately bad.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Thanks alot for your help.You guys are awesome.It was the capacitor.My friend came over and changed it out in about 5 min,while I put the fan back together.Now I understand a little more about how it works :whistle: .Thanks Smokey and Big'un for offering up a place to cool off :) That was a very kind offer ;) I really appreciate you guys taking the time out of your Sunday to try to help me out.I now have the a/c running,but the house was 84* :ohmy: It may take awhile to cool back down :whistle: Hey Pat,now I have a spare capacitor,just in case :) This guy wouldn't even take any money(he did take a couple beers though) :lol:Now,let's go cook something :woohoo: ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Rascal wrote:
    That's terrific! Does it double as a snow-blower during the other seasons? 8 - )
    LOL Smart As* :pinch: NO!
    lobydoor.jpg
    this is the back door at my studio. the snow is over the top :(
    lookingoutback.jpg
    this is the back of the studio and the door in the above picture is on this wall...somewhere :blink:
    O.K. I will not gloat about the cool ocean breeze we have right now :whistle:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Glad it worked out for you buddy. Like I said that was the problem the last 2 times here but with the emergency call (Wife needs it for medical reasons) it ran me $170 each time. I have a spare now.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Too phunny! Glad you have a sense of humor!! BTW, I've been on the "business" end of a snow shovel more times than you'd imagine! 8 - )