Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What seasonings on a steak do you use?

TxAggie
TxAggie Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGE'ers,

I have a special someone coming over this week and I want to get some good steaks. I have access to some USDA Prime steaks and other high quality cuts at my local HEB so I am going to try it out. So the questions are

1. What cut of meat do you recommend? Ribeyes? Fillet Mignon?
2. What do you put on it? Only sea salt & pepper? Wrap the fillet in bacon? Should I get some Dizzy Pig "Raising the Steak"?

Comments

• Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Either way, ribeyes and filets will do the job. I personally would get both, then share half-in-half.

As far as spice goes, I like mine with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, with Montreal seasoning a close second. Good luck with the cook.
  • If the special someone is also Texan, then give the ribeyes a go. The filet would be less filling and would also taste great, but the ribeye is the most flavorful cut available. You can't go wrong cooking the steak on the egg, so the seasoning is not overly important. I like a Chicago Steak seasoning rubbed after a light coating of vegetable oil. The TRex method works well as does searing the steaks direct for seven to eight minutes per side at 475-500.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    raising the steak is very good add some cowlick is even better IMO

and i am a ribeye type of fellow... only because i have cooked 100x more ribeyes than filet because of the expense... filet is realy wonderful but i have to ask myself who is worth $16.99 a lb????

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Riasing the Steaks rub +
    cast iron grate +
    ribeyes +
    +++ some other secrets that I'm not about to reveal here
    = two contest winnings amounting to $4,000 in cash and merchcandise! Wanting to know more? NO way!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    If you are going to get Prime Steaks either cut will do amazingly. I recommend Kosher salt, pepper, and some fresh chopped parsley. I got that from Ruth's Chris. I great cut of meat requires very little seasoning. You want to enjoy the taste of the meat. Just my 2 cents, My wife says that most ladies like the Filet it helps them feel like they are not pigging out when they enjoy an entire steak and they can eat sides as well. I guess her 2 cents. ;)B)B)
    DSC02148.jpg
  • TxAggie
    I don't have the cast iron grate. :S

I will put in my order to DP for some raising the steaks and some of the cow lick. What rub do you use on ribs???
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    my steak of choice day-today is a strip. i find the ribeyes a little too floppy (there's no denying the fat is flavor though). USDA prime strips will be tender, not worry about them being too firm.

if your friend hasn't ever had steak from the egg, and prime is a rarity for you too, i would humbly suggest nothing but salt and pepper. salt ten minutes or so before the sear. pepper after. would be a (admittedly small) crime to cover up the flavor of the prime...

if you get dry-aged, i'd go with the ribeyes. they are much firmer when aged, and the fat is phenomenal
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BENTE
    i like dizzy dust ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    The best ribeyes I can find at least 1 1/4" thick after letting rise to room temp or at least 30 minutes from the fridge, cast iron grate, egg running WIDE OPEN (600*-700*):woohoo: evoo then lots of DP Cowlick, 90 sec. per side remove from egg. lest rest in foil 20 minutes while egg comes down to 400*, place steaks back on grill to roast until desired doneness. Use instant read thermometer to get internal temp where you want it. Now THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!! But it all starts with how good a piece of meat are you working with?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    if it's ribeyes vs filet, go rib eyes. not much flavor in a filet (compared to the ribeye). or, as someone said, some of each, to be shared/compared
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Filets will be the most tender. EVOO/kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Use Raising the Steaks if you want something spicier. How about a WOW with the appetiser?
    scampi4.jpg

Mike
  • BENTE
    i gotta get my one of those scampie making plates/pan or what ever the heck they are called :S

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I used to wok, but the other way is much much easier. They are sizzling platters for steaks really.
    Woking is impressive though.
    ee05.jpg

Mike
  • BENTE
    plus the scampie pan looks cool :P

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Gig'em!

Call Dizzy Pig and get their steak seasoning. If that is too long a wait, Johhnny's, and TREX em...

MMMMMmmmMMM
  • I have tried a LOT of different steak seasonings.

I use Raising the Steaks.

Spacey
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    You've prolly got enough answers...but I did these last night..1 1/4" prime cut grain fed ribeyes...set to room temp, rubbed with peanut oil and covered with DP Raisin the Steaks..seared at 600+ 90 secs per side, rested 20 mins and finished to desired temp at 400...
    RibbiesnChucks005.jpg
    For some additional snaz in the flavor if you like sauces...
    Jack Daniels Ribe-Eye Sauce

4 each Rib-Eye Steaks
    ¾ cup beef stock
    ⅔ cup dark brown sugar
    ½ cup Jack Daniel’s Whiskey (I substituted Woodford Reserve)
    ¼ cup Dale’s Steak Seasoning
    4 Tbs cornstarch
    Grill steaks as desired.
    Bring beef stock, steak seasoning, brown sugar, and the Jack Daniel's to a boil in a saucepan.
    Add cornstarch. When sauce thickens, pour over steaks or on the side as a dipping sauce.
    This is a very elegant sauce and really brings out the flavor of the rib eyes.
  • TxAggie
    Man those look AWESOME. I am going to go with the rib eyes and I put in my order last night for 1 Dizzy Dust, 1 cow lick, 1 red eye, and 1 raising the steaks.

$28 + $10 shipping for spices seems waaaay pricey so they better be good; :woohoo: they should be here by Friday I hope.