Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking two Boston Butts

Options
BobbyG
BobbyG Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK everyone,
I'm pretty experienced at a single 8lb butt. I usually range from 8hours to 14hours cook time to get to 200* I try to keep my dome temp at 250* and they always turn out great.[p]My question is what should I expect when trying two boston butts. I expect to have between 12 to 16lbs of meat nestled on my v-rack in my medium egg. Will my cook time be longer? Any special tips?[p]Thanks in advance for your great advice,
BobbyG

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    BobbyG,
    I would make sure the two butts are about the same weight. Do it just like you would do one butt. Don't let the two butts touch though, leave a little gap between them. Cook time should run about the same as if doing one.[p]~nikki

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    bnb.jpg
    <p />BobbyG,
    The two 8 lb butts and the 14lb briskett took 20 hours to reach 200* internal for the butts and 190* fot the brisket. The were cooked at 225* for most of the cook. I also did three 8 lb butts at the same time on my other large and they were done a little earlier. Mostly it takes close to the same time with multiple butts but I find it usually takes a little longer. Good luck.[p]Chuck <><

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    Chuck,[p]I like that second cooking rack. Is that an accessory for the BGE? Where can I get one? Thanks!

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Zeke,[p]Yes that is a BGE accessory. It is called a grid extender and they sell two different ones. One is hinged and one is a rigid surface. I ahve one of each and like them both. I bought them at my local dealer for about $16.00[p]Have a great night.[p]Chuck <><[p]Chuck