Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Three to Tango

Options
spbull472
spbull472 Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, I want to thank everyone for their awesome recommendations last week when I asked for non-pork recipes for my Birthday cookout. I ended up going with "beer can" chicken on the BGE, well I actually went with 3 chickens (the wife really wanted beer can chicken, so what the wife wants...the wife gets...at least this once.)

I bought 3 of the sittin chicken devices for the egg from Bass Pro, 9.99 versus 19.99 from an egg dealer here locally. Kinda fitting to see a Bass Pro logo on the ceramic for a device that holds beer in a chickens arse.

Anyway...I rubbed EVOO on all three chickens. One was done simply with Kosher Salt and Cracked Pepper, one with DP Tsunami Spin and one with DP Shakin' the Tree. Got the BGE up to 300 dome temp, indirect with drip pan. Wasn't sure how to do the sittin chickens, so I let them warm up with the egg. When I maintained my temp, I filled each about 3/4ths of the way with Bud Select and shoved each chicken on the device. My neighbor commented to me it looked like they were about to Tango or chat. I also used one chunk of a Honey Mapled wood.

I rotated my grid about every hour, since I know there is a hotspot in the back, and then I pulled the chickens off after about four hours. The interesting part was trying to get the chickens off the devices, took a little muscle but I got 'er done.

Carved up the chickens and made sure to keep each bird seperated, that way people could try the 3 different flavors.

Was a huge success, neighbors LOVED the chicken and it was a nice respite from the pork we always tend to cook. Was moist and extremely well flavored, has held up well for what leftovers there were. Nothing wrong with Pork though, need to figure out how to do a pulled beef next.

I kept meaning to take pics of the cook, but kept forgetting. The birds were beautiful, nice coloration on the skin and just funny to see 3 birds looking like the were chatting on the grill.

Thanks again everyone!

Comments