Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Butterball Turkey tips and tricks??

Vegas SlimVegas Slim Posts: 166
edited 12:52AM in EggHead Forum
ok i know its not turkey time but we have a frozen butterball any suggestions on time temps and methods to cooking it? thanks!

Comments

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    turkey11.jpg
    <p />Vegas Slim,[p]I'll tell you how I do mine.[p]Pictured are two fresh turkey breasts. I was testing the size of my Vrack to make sure they would fit. 2.75 hrs at 325-350 deg worked fine. They are over two firebricks and a drip pan that the Vrack sits in. I lift the whole rig in and out of the cooker on the extra grid w/handles.[p]More pics om my website[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's cookbook etc[/ul]
  • Vegas Slim,
    One approach would be to cook it indirect, and then proceed just like you would in your kitchen oven, only with a little smoke. I'm not allowed to fool around with the holiday turkey, so I've not tried anything beyond that. You might also consider brining the turkey. Alton Brown showed how in his episode "Romancing the Bird" and in his latest book "I'm Just Here For The Food".[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Tim M, thank you both 1 problem i have no fire bricks i do have a plate setter and a grill extender maybe go with the grill extender in the v rack in a pan? thanks again for the help

• PujPuj Posts: 615
    Vegas Slim,[p]Below is a link to the turkey we did at Eggtoberfest 2000. This is also the recipe we use each year for our Thanksgiving turkey.[p]Puj

[ul][li]PDK Bird - Eggtoberfest 2000[/ul]
  • Steve-OSteve-O Posts: 302
    Tim,
    Where did you get that V-rack? It is much larger than the BGE rack I got from my dealer.

• Steve-OSteve-O Posts: 302
    Vegas Slim,
    How about spatchcocking it? Has anyone tried this and how large a turkey would be too large to fit on a large BGE after spatchcocking it? It works so well on chicken that it seems like a good way to do a turkey - maybe a small turkey no more than 12lbs or so????

• ShelbyShelby Posts: 803
    Vegas Slim,
    Who said it's not turkey time? Turkey is great any time of the year.

• PujPuj Posts: 615
    Steve-O,[p]One "Cat" (Cathy Loup) posted this butterflied turkey recipe a couple of years ago.[p]
    [ul][li]Butterflied Turkey ...[/ul]