Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot tub

Options
Ike
Ike Posts: 291
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to hot tub a 1 1/2" angus sirloin afterwhile, anyone have any idea what internal temp I should shoot for before searing on a CIG @ 550-600? Hoping for it to be med/rare when done. Thanks.
Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    When I've done them I let them go 1 hour in 100 degree water then 90 seconds a side over a really hot fire then 10-15 minutes rest under a foil tent. They have always come out a perfect medium rare. -RP
  • Ike
    Options
    Sounds like that is what I'm looking for. Thank you!
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    no real science to it on my end.
    hottest tapwater i can muster (140 in my house). i drop them in then go light the fire. when the fire is ready, i throw them on. i checked a couple times. once it was 100, once 115 internal (after 20 minutes and a water change).

i sear to my liking maybe 90 seconds a side, and then just make sure i'm on target with the thermapen. usually 135, and a good cross section of it, too, not just a tiny med-rare center.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    Holding meat at 100 degrees F has the potential of being dangerous.
    If I was going to culture a bacteria that would be the temperature I would use to get the most rapid growth.

Everyone on here seems to worry if on a long and slow cook the temperature did not reach 140. This has a lot more potential for growing bacteria.
  • stike
    Options
    you have four hours to hold something at 140, which is the temp at which the bacteria will grow fastest.

hot tapwater for 20 minutes ain't gonna do a thing, it is entirely within the 40-140 four hour "rule".

keep in mind that during a low and slow, the internal temp is not the one you are paying attention to with regard to the 40/140 rule. the bacteria of concern are on the outside (they are intestinal, and potentially get there during slaughter: they aren't IN the meat). on the outside, the environment is 250, there's smoke, low oxygen, and salt. no bacteria are multiplying when you cook like that.
  • AZRP
    Options
    The technique is right out of Cooks Illustrated and that is a four hour window between 40 and 140. One hour in the window and then onto a hot fire should be pretty safe. If you think about it, at medium rare, the internal temp of 135 never gets out of the window. -RP
  • stike
    Options
    ...andsince internal temp is not the issue anyway... (heh heh heh)
  • AZRP
    Options
    Correct, hey did you catch any fish with the kids? -RP
  • stike
    Options
    kids caught fish. i was the chief untangler and worm-put-er-on-er.

>>EDITED
    tucks_first_fish.jpg

my son's first fish
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Ike,
    I Hot Tub mine for 1hr @101* and sear at 625 for 90 sec.each side. Rest for 15-min.
    My Best,
    Ross
  • Ike
    Options
    WOW! Thanks to everyone! Ross, if mine come out anywhere near as good yours look, I will consider it a major success.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Ike,
    Post your results.
    Ross
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    What the ??????? Never heard of the Hot Tub method. When and why do you do the Hot tub method.

Okeejohn
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Nice! - making memories
  • Ike
    Options
    Well Ross, they didn't come out looking like yours, but my wife and I agreed they were mighty good. Rubbed them with a basic homemade rub (salt, pepper, paprika, turbinado, chili powder),then let them sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. Tubbed (sinked) them for a while...between 1 & 1 1/2 hrs, internal temp was 100. Dome temp on egg was 670 when the sacrifice was made. Seared each side for 90 secs, rotating 45 degrees after 45 secs for marks. Came out a little more charred than desired (maybe too much turbinado) but didn't have the burnt taste. Internal did very much resemble yours. They were very tastey, tender and moist. Thanks to you and everyone else who joined in this thread and all of the other threads. This board is a joy to read!