Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a Bologna

Options
dbacker
dbacker Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Always trying new stuff. Gonna try a big hunk of Boarshead Beef Bologna. Gonna use pecan for smoke any other suggestions???? Already cooked so just looking for flavor.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Score the outside and season with your favorite rub.

I cook them at 275-300 for a few hours. Makes for some very good sandwiches.

Bologna.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i did one a few years back, drove a pipe thru it in a couple places and cut the pieces to make plugs on each end and filled it with bbq sauce. wasnt too bad but i really dont like bologna. if i did it again i might try a 50/50 mixture of grape jelley and frenches mustard, ive smoked spam chunks in that and they came out tasty.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Love the stuff, but one word of caution.

Bologna has a good bit of water and salt in it. The water will be lost in the smoking process and the salt will become more concentrated. Try to use rub that contin little or no salt or you may find the results [ul]very[/ul] salty!!

P4170003.jpg
    P4170004.jpg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    You are right, it's ready to eat as-is, so flavor and color are all you are looking for. I go about 250° and use a fairly strong wood like oak or hickory (bologna is dense stuff). I cut off the rind. As far as seasonings, some pepper and garlic powder are good starters.

I like to baste mine, but that is not mandatory. I've never taken an internal temperature, but when it looks good it is. As it swells, make some relief cuts like Fidel's picture shows. I'm guessing mine take 90 minutes to 2 hours. Just make sure you don't dry it out.

Cube it for serving, maybe with some smoked cheese or if you have time, smoke a fatty to go along with it. It's also good lightly fried on a sandwich.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here you go:::

Pork, Bologna, Richard Fl.

I know this has been done before, but this is a great snack food.

1 2 lbs Bologna, Chub, I Used Smithfield pork/chicken
    Marinade:
    1/3 cup Italian Salad Dressing
    1/3 cup Favorite BBQ Sauce
    Add when placing on BGE
    Some Favorite Rub

1 Score the chub down the sides about 1/4 inch deep and about 6 cuts. Cut the chub into 3 pieces of about equal size. Took a Chinese wooden chop stick and pierced several holes to absorb the marinade. Marinated overnight in the refrigerator.
    2 Next day, took out of the refrigerator and sprinkled some rub & cooked indirect, on vertical axis, at 325°F for about 1 1/2 hours. Pulled at 170°F. Basted with marinade every 20-30 minutes. Serve with favorite BBQ sauce.
    3 Also , when sliced, makes a great sandwich.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/06/30

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I've tried that one twice now Terry. It is good as a snack or sandwich.

101_2101.jpg
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Lookin Good Fidel.Sorry man,guess I missed it.PLEASE send me your mailing address via email. :blush:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Do you have a 'Loney badge??? :huh: