Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Half an Egg, Longtime Lurker, going nuts

Options
'Q Bruddah
'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I first learned about Big Green Eggs less than a month after I sprang for a Weber Gold Genesis, a big stainless gasser grill. I had special ordered it through a local Fred Meyer (Kroger) and after they completely screwed up the delivery date I had a deeply discounted grill with $150 dollars in gift cards. This was in my prehistoric, don’t know grilled from BBQ or shinola period.
Imagine the discussion:
“Hey, Hon, I want a ’nother grill. This one is made outta clay or something”
“Well, no, they’re just a little more than the stainless steel one.”
“Well, what if we wanna have a really, big party?”
Every married man knows when to duck.
I found the website right after the Internet was invented in ’04 and began to pine for that green thang.
At home I put up a brave front and began to produce burgers, frozen from Costco and chicken and even tried ribs and quesadillas. But honestly nothing really grabbed me like, “I can’t live without this.” As a matter of fact I could comfortably live without most of it. I played with rubs and sauces but had more fun making them than using them. I discovered chops with rub and mastered at least those. But I was far from famous. Think about it, the King of Chops? I bought every Weber and Raichlen book known the world of grilling and some even mentioned BBQ. The muse was born.
Somewhere we even acquired a WeberQ, because you wouldn’t expect a man to have just ONE grill, woudja?” “Hon, whatifwewannagotothebeach and GRILL” The “Q” has never seen sand, but a lot of burgers and chicken. It is faster to light and easier to control than BerthaGasser.
Every now and then I would stop at a dealer and listen to all the “too good to be true stuff” and leave with a brochure that I read until it ripped along the fold lines. What a beautiful Green that is!
About a year ago I started snooping around the forum. I was amazed at the sheer volume of traffic. It was a prodigious bit of production--these guys are a little crazy. After all it is just a grill. Okay, so, its ceramic and everything always turns out great—got pics and the pecs to prove it!! I am not run off, in fact they don’t even know I am there. I learn that I want a large—for my first egg but the jury is still out about the second and third egg. I begin to internalize the true difference between BBQ and grilling at least in concept. I establish the foundational differences between lo and slo and sear that sucka.
I have known for more than a half a year that the dealer cooks every Saturday and rolls some lovin’ outta the oven, so to speak, about 2-3PM. I always seem to have lesser duties to perform that preclude my being at the dealer during prime (rib) time or is it Happy Hour? I don’t know. I don’t drink anymore and I am easily muddled in my old age.
Three Saturdays ago my son asks me to pick him up from work. Pay attention now—its Saturday, about two miles from the dealer, about 1PM. Well, yes, as a matter of fact, we did stop at the dealer.
I run into Chip, Great Guy. He remembers me. Super Guy. He begins talking about all the fine qualities of EggFood and twiddles with the Large Egg, running the temperature up and down while he talks without any chalance, you know, nonchalantly, while he runs the Green Queen through her paces.
“Big Party comin’up.” PNW Evergreen EggFest. You might want to pick up a “Demo Egg” for a discount,” Chip offers.
I am no dummy. I know what an EggFest is. “What’s a Demo Egg?” I ask. WHAT WAS THAT!!! I think it was the trap springing SHUT! Nothing hurts but my throat is dry, hands sweaty and my knees don’t feel real steady.
“Yep, put your name in a hat and if you are lucky you might have a shot at a Demo Egg after we are done cooking with it for the day. Sometimes we have 25 or so. Just get one call, though, gotta be ready to pull the trigger.”
“Well, sure, if you think I have a chance. How much are they reduced?
“Usually a couple hundred dollars.”
“Wow, Sure”
Well, about a week later, on schedule and while the iron is still hot, Chip calls to find out if I was still serious about that Egg or just blowing smoke, so to speak. “ We only have 4 in our allotment this year—read scarce resource, you still interested?”
“Well, yes, I am.” I was thinking there is still a lot of time left-- its still July and September 6th is in the next century, right? But I want to insure that I am one of those lucky ones that gets picked to buy an Egg so I naively say, “would a little green buy me favor with the committee?”
“Why, yes,” says Chip,”we can generate an order now and you just have to complete the sale by coming up with the rest of the money prior to the EggFest.” Hook set and reeling it in. “We need a deposit. When would you like to make that?”
“This afternoon,” I said. Unbeknownst to Chip I had just negotiated a sweet little sale of my own, minutes before his call to the tune of $400.00.
The actual sale of the Egg didn’t happen until the next day. I have been in sales in some capacity all my life and I honestly didn’t see the “Demo Egg close” coming. I am not complaining really. I am getting exactly what I want at a discount price. What I am really getting, is excited!! In fact, I am going nuts.
Since then I have been glued to the forum. The mouse is attached to my hand and I rarely release it except to eat and other necessary functions. I want a Stoker, convinced its expandability is in my best interest. I have watched butchering sites. Knot tying videos—roll a roast without tying knots. Plastic bands? Yuk!! I am paying more attention to low and slow cooks for a new Egg and Egg operator figuring to start with pork and graduate to beef brisket. I have nearly worn out the search function at the forum with pork butt, brisket, steak, rub, sauce, DigiQ II, Stoker. I even looked up Souvlaki, so don’t mess with me. I just need as little experience and I will show my pics and pecs.
I began today to clean up the gassers for a fire sale on grills at my house. All proceeds to be donated to the Egg cause.
The handle? ‘Q Bruddah. Q for BBQ and Bruddah is surfer talk for brother like, Watcha’ know, Bro. I mean, Bruddah. Nope, never surfed, go figure. I am keeping the handle.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL Welcome...I think..... :laugh: I think I will look forward to your posts! as you already know this is a great forum and you will get all the help you need here. We have one of each but not an XL. That is fine though. Get the pictures coming as soon as she is cookin! Julie
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Welcome. Keep the largest gasser, it works great for storage.
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Options
    'Q Bruddah, I will hold you responsible for spitting my ABT on the screen :laugh: I look forward (as Mainegg said) I think to more enjoyable posts. Ok Bro, Dude, Chief get that Egg and start cooking.

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Welcome Bruddah, Glad to have you cooking with us. If you have any questions, just ask.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,173
    Options
    Good Lord, son! Welcome aboard! I usually don't read posts as long as yours, but, I was captivated by your rhetoric. This is definitely a cult going here, but, it is so because these green things are so versatile and so much fun to cook on! I've been in this 'cult' for several years and I still can't wait to fire up this incredible cooking machine each night! :laugh: You're going to be totally amazed....... :woohoo:
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    And to think you won't have to talk her into your second Egg...that's speaks volumes to how quickly the well fed wifey takes to the Eggin' Lifestyle.

Good to have another "West Coast" Egger on the baord late at night when all are sleeping (or up taking yet another piss- see Leroy).

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    'Q bruddah -
    I must say, that is some of the very finest rhetoric I have ever read on this forum. Welcome to the cult, looking forward to more of your fine posts. As FlaPoolman said, keep your gasser as it is a fine place to store all of your soon-to-acquire Eggcessories. You will be experiencing a new and very enjoyable way of life.

Mike
    Wrens, GA
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    I really want to thank all of you for such a warm welcome. Mercy! To fieroguy and FlaPoolman I'm gonna sell the big gasser cause I need the money. I s'pose I'll be a Two Egger Beggar soon enough
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    what a great story!!!!!! i bought my first egg cause we were giving them away at the Auction that i worked at...that was several years ago... i did not have internet, nor did i have a VCR (which was the only way they used to give you of.. i had a DVD player and they did not have that format) so i was given a vent setting by a great guy named B.A. (not barracus).. he showed me where 350 was and i was off.....

in the last few years since i found this forum i have come a long way.... so i got to say you are ahead of me... WELCOME!!!!!

and make sure to take pics ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    :laugh: You're gonna' fit right in that's for sure. I am laughing as I am reading as I just went through a similar eggsperience last year before jumping in full force with lots of eggsessories. So have you looked at table building plans yet? :woohoo: It is a never ending addiction IMHO.

Welcome
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    I have dreamed and looked at so many table plans and photo galleries on the Whiz's site he can hear me when I whistle at his back door. Comes down to money and space. A Table or another Egg with a TV Tray alongside. Think I'll go with the Egg.
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    That was well worth the time it took to read it. Thanks
    Hope to read more.

I can't wait to show off my new top on my table. all I have to do is have the time to take the egg apart, take it out of the table, cut the legs off, install new wheels, level off the wood top and install the new granite top. Ew wheee.......

Rickyd
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Great post. I just made the jump a few weeks ago. I danced the exact same dance. I think they were tired of seeing me.
    I ordered my stoker and just used to for Pulled Pork. It was so easy. And the food. The praise keeps coming, and from my wife, who is a darn hard Texan to please with BBQ. But she has loved each meal off the egg!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Nice post. My wife looked at me like I had five heads when I told her I wanted an LBGE. And forget about it when she heard the price. I bought her a pool and purchased the egg for about 1/60th the cost......

And now she loves it. I've never seen her eat a rib in 15 years (admittedly most restaraunts up here stink). She tried them the other day and had several. And she loves the chickens roasted on the egg.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    fantastic story from the OP.