Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Zucchini!!!

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well a follow up to my post yeaterday (i ruined some zuc bread) i took the other GIGANTIC zucchini and decided to stuff it... i was going to do the fat guy thing and stuff with cheese and sausage but decided to do something that the wife could enjoy also... and she did so for those of you wanting something a little healthier givfe this a try... my zuc was huge so you may have to cut back some to buy one in a store and stuff it ;)
right on the egg

2008-07-14004.jpg

getting ready to take off... notice the stuffed mushroom caps on the side :whistle:
2008-07-14007.jpg

here is the recepie

Zucchini, Stuffed, Rice

i was going to stuff these with cheese and sausage but decided to make it a little more healthy

Zucchini sliced in half lengthwise and seeds scooped out
1/2 cup wild rice
1/2 cup rice
1/2 of a onion
1 poblano pepper
2 ribs celery
handful of mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs

1 saute onion, celery, pepper, and mushrooms
2 mix with cooked rice in a bowl
3 add some parmesean cheese and bread crumbs if it is too wet
4 add beaten eggs
5 spoon into hollowed out zucchini
6 place onto egg 350 indirect for about an hour

Recipe Source
Author: T. BENTE

Source: my own imagination Posted on BGE Forum 2008/07/14

once again thanks to miles of smiles for the zuc's

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I can almost taste it from here. They look great.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Those are huge!! You can always free up some pit space by going vertical....(just leave about 1/2" thick bottom, you are good to go)

DSC03309a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    It looks great, and good way to help out Leah too(not that she needs it)! One question though. Did you add moisture as it cooked, or was the rice already cooked before you added it? TIA.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Sorry Terry. Can't get one in the store that size. I have another one that I'am watching for you. I'll keep you up to date on it, if you would like another. Man ole thirdeye sure cooks a mean zucc. also Enjoy...Miles out.
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks they were super easy ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    i noticed that recepie is not on your site :angry: :unsure: :(

LOL

post it if you would ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    i precooked both types of rice... although i think i may leave the wild rice out next time it was not uncle bens so it was not a more "cultivated" rice and after "baking" on the egg it turned out a little tough :pinch:

live and learn B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Thanks for posting Terry, never would have thought of that. Endless possibilites for stuffing.

Mike
  • BENTE
    Options
    if he posts the recepie i will want the next huge one ;)

sorry the bread turned out bad i did not use big enough pans... although i think i can find 2 cups of shredded zuc ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    yea you know i like stuffing things

my avatar is proof :unsure: :pinch: ooops ;):whistle: :evil: :cheer:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    :woohoo:

:ohmy: I guess she doesn't read the forum. :ohmy:

Mike
  • BENTE
    Options
    not yet but she is looking towards it ;)
    2008-06-08016.jpg

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    LOL. I love that pic.

Mike
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03302a.jpg

It's just about any kind of stuffing...I use some of the squash, onion, herbs, garlic, (all chopped) cheese and panko. I saute the squash, onion & garlic, then add the cheese and panko.

Core the squash with a melon baller, leaving 1/2" thickness on the bottom. If you have those bomber ones like this...

DSC03641a.jpg

...you might want to blanch them after hollowing them out. Then stuff, (not packing it in) top with a little more cheese and/or panko and Egg until hot. If I add meat, I pre cook it first.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks alot!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb