Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza on small green egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a small egg just ordered the setter but they dont make a pizza stone for it what do you use.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I just put the plate setter in legs down and sprinkle the top with cornmeal or I use parchment paper anyways to put my dough on and then slide it onto the back of a cookie sheet, if you do not have a peal then slide onto the preheated top of the plate setter.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have a Small BGE also. The pizza stone for the medium Egg fits the small just fine...

I use platesetter feet down, then a grid then the medium pizza stone and I cook my pizzas on 12 inch pizza screens I got from Rest Depot...they work great...so go get a pizza stone for the medium
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Kim, air flow is OK around it? I have not used my med stone cause I was worried that i might fry my gasket by using it
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Yep the air flow is fine...now frying your gasket may be a problem :blush:

just kidding...When we went camping a few weeks ago I made 6 pizzas on the small BGE all at about 450-500 degrees...
  • Mainegg
    Options
    cool, so for a crowd I could have both eggs doing pizza if I get another stone. very cool.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    small pizzas for the kiddies and large pizzas for the adults... :P
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    A round kiln shelf makes a great pizza/bread stone for the small. New Mexico Clay makes one that is 10" in diameter and 3/8" thick (www.nmclay.com part# KS10R).

I bought my small before a plate setter was available for it, and instead purchased Chubby's Grate Mates. I have several of the kiln shelves. My setup for pizza is to place one of the shelves on the Grate Mates ring above the lump as a heat deflector, and another on a grid placed on top of the tall Grate Mates grid supports, which puts it up into the dome and above the felt line.

Old Dave turned me on to kiln shelves at New Mexico Clay about 4 years ago when I asked him for help making bread.

I also have and use the BGE pizza stone for the medium, as Kim mentioned above.

Good luck!

DD
  • Unknown
    Options
    Pizza on the small BGE.

22MVC-008E.jpg

Sourdough hearth bread on the small.

23MVC-015E.jpg

Both baked on a 10" in diameter hearth stone.

Dipstick
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Options
    Mr K, I use a medium stone along with a set of Grate Mates (the larger ones) and it works just fine on my small. I find I leave the Grate Mates in all the time anyway.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for the help this is a great forum with lots of experience. I just got this green egg so Im just getting started.