Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

about welder\'s gloves & ping vidala1

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night vidala1 stated that he was happy with the pair he spent $40 for at orange or blue. I replied: excuse me - but $40 for a pair of welder's gloves from orange or blue??? Did you get a chunk of the cow they came from as well at that price? I'm QUITE happy with my Orkas and have been burnt more than once using welders gloves.

Well today I went shopping for kicks and giggles and the absolute most expensive welder's gloves I could find locally was $14 for a pair. Are there some super-duper welder's gloves on the market that people are happy with that go for nearly three times that much? In the meantime I'm sticking with my Orka's.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey RRP,I agree completely about the orkas.Rusty Rooster brought his over to my house,and I couldn't believe it.I grabbed a hot platesetter out of my medium with them and I just stood there holding it in disbelief.Those orkas are amasing,and I can't wait to get some :woohoo:
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have a pair of silicone mitts I got at Sam's Club for around $8 I think. They seem to work well.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    10-4700.jpg

I get ones from work that are in the $10 range and they work fine for me. There are some serious ones out there in the $40 to $50 range. Here is the story on the lava shield ones. They make mitts and gloves.

Reinforced Palm & Index Finger
    Constructed of 22 oz. Kevlar Aramid fiberglass and reinforced with side split leather for durability and abrasion resistance. Fully lined with 100% sweat absorbent, flame retardant fleecy cotton for comfort and wool for insulation against heat. Can withstand continuous working temperature up to 650 deg. F and excursions up to 1000 Deg F.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    if you want the best protection when moving hot plate setters and pizza stones, get the orkas!

i get the egg up to temp with the plate setter, drip pan, and grid in, then remove the grid with my thirdeye thirdhand grid lifter and remove the plate setter with drip pan in place to add wood chips, while holding the hot plate setter with one orka.

21jan07_1-006.jpg
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    My bad...misquote...I just asked my wife who bought the welders gloves and she said they were about $15 ...sorry..
  • RRP
    Options
    bad? heck NO! I really thought maybe I had been buying the wrong kind of welder's gloves! As it turns out thirdeye has told us that yes there are some super-duper welder's gloves on the market that make our Orkas look like wimps! OTOH I'm not sure they have much more touchie-feelie capabilities than the Orkas...
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Did Ginney take the change and make a secret stash of Bloody Mary's ?? just teasing you buddy
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks! But I do have to go in to a BGE induced hysteria since the glove description had the word "fiberglass" OH MY GAWD - OH MY GAWD...can't use those gloves or you are going to DIE!...