Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK another DUMB question!

Options
Wanabe
Wanabe Posts: 355
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been looking at ceramic grills for about 8 years. I know you’d think I would have committed by now but the cost of these grills is a little overwhelming for me. I get as good a result as I can expect from my Weber Kettle but I want more. I have looked at the BGE at local BBQ stores before so I thought I’d do a little research on the web. I’m in Michigan for the summer so I have plenty of time to ponder before I make my purchase this fall.

To my surprise there are a lot of ceramics grills on the market. Many are factory direct so it is difficult to do any hands-on comparison. I’ve researched all of their forums and the Egghead forum is hands down the best. Although the members of every forum love their grill best if you base your purchase on the web forum only the BGE is the product of choice. Since I can’t see every ceramic to compare their features how do I know I’m getting the best value for my hard earned dollar?

Many of you have obviously been using ceramics a long time and probably owned other brands. How does the BGE stack up against the rest? I know some may think me a fool to post this on the BGE forum but you all seem up front and honest with your opinions.

Wanabe AKA Danny

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Danny,If you have spent time on the other forums,you've read all about poor customer service and broken parts.Sure,BGEs break from time to time,but you will never have a problem getting replacement parts from BGE.My local dealer will swap out any part if needed,but in over 4 yrs of eggin with 2 eggs,and now 3 eggs,I have only had to replace a firebox or two :woohoo: If you think your saving money the other way,go for it.I'm not trying to sound like a smarta$$,it just comes naturally :lol:;):) I shopped around for about 12 minutes :lol: .Once you try it,you'll kick yourself for wasting 8 yrs :huh:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    This forum is a great feature full of intelligent, experienced cooks and eggers.

All ceramic grills cook well. Everyone here has chosen the Big Green Egg as their ceramic cooker of choice. It is a terrific product. I own 3 and use them 5 or more times a week year round.

I don't compare to the others because I have never used them, so all I will say is you won't go wrong with the BGE.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    If you had dropped a quarter in a piggy bank every day for the 8 years you have been thinking of an egg, you would be smoking a brisket right about now.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I will give you a few reasons for consideration:

1) How long has the company been in business?
    2) How Reputable is the company?
    3) How is the customer service/warranty service?
    4) How is the customer satisfaction?
    5) How much maintenance is involved with the product?

If you consider these factors you will spend your hard earned green on something GREEN if you know what I mean!

FYI:
    Mom & Dad Medium BGE
    Brother MEdium BGE
    ME: Large, Small, & Mini BGE
    Mother in Law 2 Large BGE
    Sister Large BGE

In After having My first BGE since Sept 06 I haven't regregretted the decision for 1 second and I haven't missed the GAS Grill I sold likewise.
    ~Pharmeggist
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I think if you read and listen to the folks on this forum, you'll find that they are very inteligent, and good hearted people. There are few ego problems on this forum, and everyone tries to help each other out. It seems to me, that these types of folks are the kind of people that I would trust their judgement. And these folks have spent their money on a green egg. Enough said?
  • Unknown
    Options
    i think your assumtion that many of us haved owned other brands is invalid. there are a few here who have but not many that i am aware of. don't be dissapointed if you don't get a lot of side by side comparison responses.
    value can be subjective. quality is not. you obviously know how we feel about our eggs. compare, waranties, service from you local dealer, etc. then buy an egg you have alreaady wasted way too much time :evil:
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    If you search the archives on this forum you might find similar questions and responses. It is frowned upon here to make head-to-head comparisons with other brands. In general, though, most ceramic cookers will perform well. Primo seems to be the most well-thought-of competitor and has some designs not found elsewhere. Another brand is well known but has suffered some poor PR from their own customers over the years, particularly in the area of customer service. What you will find with the BGE, though, is a lot of satisfied and enthusiastic users, excellent customer service, few gripers (but there are always some,) and the resources of this forum. If I were forced to identify a weakness, I'd say the dealer network receives the most criticism even though there are some who are truly excellent; that, of course, is probably true of all brands and products.
  • Fireball II
    Fireball II Posts: 213
    Options
    Danny

I have wanted BGE for the past several years. I have four webers and they have not been used a singal time after getting my egg. The diference is amasing. One other the gays and gals that are answering your post are great help when you need it, I have asked for there help a lot. Most of my ? were dumb and they still help. Thanks Guys and Gals!!!
  • Fireball II
    Options
    Big'un

How did you cook the eggs in a boat on the pic you posted yesterday?
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    After scoping out this forum for months on end, I finally graduated from a number of kettle & gas grills to a large BGE (almost a year ago). It's the only ceramic cooker I've ever owned and for many reasons, I believe it was a choice well made. You won't regret becoming a member of the the Green Eggers club! 8 - )
  • Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    Options
    I was in the same mind set as you are. The Cost! I read this forum for awhile before I started asking a couple of questions. We are tired of replacing gas grills every year or two, so we decided to investigate the BGE. What was the most convincing, for the husband, was the customer service. We were told everything has a lifetime warranty on it except the gasket, and the metal bands around the egg. I am sure the grates are not covered, but the cost of those are minimal. The daisy wheel is not covered but that cost is nominal as well and hopefully will last about five years or so. Our dealer told us to take the daisy wheel off and spray with Pam and put in a Ziploc back after every use and it would last longer.

As a result of all this my friend and I just returned from our dealer and we both purchased the exact same set up to be delivered next week.

I have never owned a ceramic cooker in my life, but from everyone, not just forum people, who own an egg say they are wonderful!

(Sorry, didn't mean to write a book.)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    8 years but not so unusual.

Not knowing it, I have been looking for an egg for probably 20 years. In that time I have bought probably 25 to 30 different grills/smokers and both.

At the time of getting the egg I had 7 gassers, grills, smokers.

Never found anything I really liked. I was just about to buy a pellet pooper and a drum. (not knowcking either one of them).

I heard about a green cooker that looked like an egg and there was a bunch of odd folk on a forum. Googled it and located the BGE page then bounced to this fourm. I then looked for some compeditors. Read about them and followed their forums. All pretty interesting and good claims. But the forum's were something a bit different.

I went back to this forum and read as far back as I could. Every single post.

Indeed odd, but they all dearly loved their eggs and a good majority had bought a second egg (and a 3rd, 4th). I was amazed at how helpful they were to each other. For the most part there were no secret cooks. The forum members wanted the newbies to succeed and have great results. I bought my first egg the next day when the dealer opened the doors.

The next day I was cooking on my new Large. I created a problem with my egg, from reading the forum.

My dealer came out and helped me fix the problem and I was up for the next cook.

I cooked at least once and sometimes several times a day for the next 5 or 6 months.

In that time I got rid of all my other cookers/smokers except for one gasser that provides a home to the hornets and my egg accessories. Come to think of it I haven't never turned the gasser on since getting my large.

What I have done, like many others, I have now purchased more eggs. Medium, small and mini.

Was the egg expensive for my hard earned money. I bought a stainless steel gasser which cost me more than my large egg.

Remembering all the times I wanted better results, no the egg was not expensive at all for the value I got.

BGE direct and my dealer are amazing with customer service. It is what one would think great service should be.

My continual searching got me to wanting an egg. My cooks were good and I got a lot of compliments but to me there had to be something better. Today, I am not looking for any other cookers/smokers.

The forum sold me on the egg and the folks on the forum are as much a value to me as the eggs themselves.

You will read over and over again and will be told hundreds of time from forum members - get an egg.

Don't wait to get your egg - do it now! There is absolutely nothing to gain from anyone that has responded to your question above if you do or don't get an egg.

The logical question is why so much positive responses. The logical answer is that the egg is so darn good, great service, great results and each of us are very happy with the money we spent ...so much so that many of us have bought more eggs - not other brands but eggs.

Get an egg and don't wait any longer.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    My son-in-law bought a large. The metal (DFMT)had a problem and was covered under warrnaty.

I have had a gasket covered under warranty. With that said I don't and didn't expect to have it covered under warranty. The failure was my fault.

BGE and my dealer goes the extra mile for customer service - they have been way more than fair in my dealings.

Grillmama, I put a little food oil on the DFMT (dome vent) and when done put it on top of the grid when done cooking. Ceramic on top and bottom vent closed to shut down the egg. In a year no problems, no rust, no wear.

The ziploc is probably safer, but IMO not necessary.

GG
  • gwayne
    gwayne Posts: 11
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you and purchased another brand a few years back. While it does cook very well, I have had problems with customer service. The cooker arrived with a broken handle. I called the dealer and requested a replacement. I'm still waiting.... I ordered a raised grill from this same dealer and it took forever to arrive. I had to call and remind them of the order. While I had them I again requested a new handle - still waiting. Most of the paint has peeled off the cooker. I looked at their forum and evidently this is common. The fix? They'll tell you what kind of paint to use. Great :angry: At the time, this other cooker was cheaper, but in the long run it was not worth the money I saved. I recently purchased a LBGE and have been much happier with it. There are two dealers local to me and a dozen more within an hour's drive so parts will not be an issue. I don't think the glazed outer surface will ever peel, either.
    So to summarize, I have had a competitor's cooker and I would highly recommend the egg over it. No question.
  • Grillmama
    Options
    That is an even quicker and better idea. I can just see putting the wheel in a Ziploc bag after every use. Ha...It would end up on the kitchen counter to be pushed around until ready to use again. See Wanabe every one here will help!

I bought a LBGE and a table for it to sit in. Plus some girly accessories!

You will see me posting alot of questions in a few days when I get my rearend in a sling and I need help.

They are always willing to help no matter how many times the question has been asked.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Grillmama,

What pray tell is girly accessories! Might need to sweeten up the better half out here.

GG
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    *it costs more than it should, but it's worth more than it costs*

coupled with the lifetime warranty when you buy from a storefront dealer or at an eggfest, the big green egg is the most versatile cooker available on this planet :woohoo:

sure there are other ceramic cookers out there, but the big green egg is the best!
  • Grillmama
    Options
    Your funny! This was a case of "I had to talk the husband" into this expenditure rather than the husband "talking the wife" into it.

By the way I used all of your all's convincing reasons to talk him into it :P

What did I buy....hm...I had to have the cover to protect my investment. I had to have the rib rack so my husband could cook ribs. (when he borrows my egg) I went for the plate setter. I also purchased the grill extender so my steaks and hamburgers don't experience a burn on their bottoms. The grill gripers, of course so I don't burn my fingers. I have yet to purchase gloves. The ash thingy, although I have a shop vac to vacuum out any ash.

My wish list is the pizza stone, the pan the chicken sits on, and a DigiQ.

My grill my girly accessories.... :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    easiest thing is to put the daisy wheel top right on the hot grid when you shut down. no oil, no ziploc, no anything.

there won't be any rust.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fireball II
    Options
    It is fun to have new keep adding new stuff to your wish lists.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Those arn't girly accessories. They are all must haves.

Your wish list is good. Gloves, there is a discussion post below. For gloves I use cotton garden type for handling cool grids, lump & stuff - just to keep clean. Some of those railroad leather gloves (leather work gloves) for somewhat hot stuff.

I have some welder glove's but I don't like them. Think I will get some Nomex or orka's.

Still trying to figure out what a girly accessory would be.

Oh, don't let your husband use your egg. Tell him to get his own (different size).

If you don't have one add a thermopen to your list. Next thing to get - it will make a huge difference in cooking. On or off the egg.

GG
  • Grillmama
    Options
    Yes, you are right. I forgot about the Thermapen. That will probably be next.

O.k. let's call them my girly must haves then if that helps :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    The pan the chicken sits on???????? You have me stumped!

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    No, that's not a girly option either. :laugh:

GG
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    If you check any of the competitors websites, I don't think you will find a single one touting festivals for the soul purpose of bringing their customers together for cooking and fun. -RP
  • Grillmama
    Options
    Williams Sonoma carries them, but the BGE dealer had some. It is a rounded pan with a cylinder in the center that a beer can sits in and the chicken sits on the can. It is just an easier way to pull the beer can chicken off the grill while it sits in this pan.

What terminolgy would you prefer rather than my "girly must haves or my girly accessories?" :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I had purchased several chicken and turkey stands. Only used a chicken one once.

I get fantastic chicken by either spatchcock method or just putting the chicken on a raised grid and cook for 1 hour at 400° dome. I still have to try 1 hour @ 500°.

Interestigly enought that that is the only cook I adhear to a given time cook. But 400° turns out fantastic in 1 hour - never fails. I do check and make sure the breast & thighs are at 165° before pulling.

Now, don't get me wrong... I think the 'girly accessors' are the perfect term. Just trying to decide or learn what fits in that description. (kind of a fun thing).

My better half is girly and I need to find something for her (something she can't say is really for me).

One year during Easter, my then, young family was out camping at Topaz Mountain looking for Topas & trilobites. I decided to get here a gift. A motorcycle, well that really didn't go over too well.

She didn't mind me getting the wide tire motorcycle, however, it was made pretty clear it wasn't a girly present. I unsucessfully tried to convince her that a lot of women would just love a motorcycle for Easter - just couldn't ever sell the concept.

Now for many years I have been very keen on finding 'girly accessories' for the Mrs's.

Lucky for me in some ways but not so lucky she can't stand jewlery, so she says. I can't get my mind around getting her something expensive that she keeps saying she doesn't want. mevertje;ess (and if my fingers are ont he right keys) Nevertheless, a motorcycle wasn't the answer either. I will never live that stunt down.

GG

PS... thinking back on that camping trip I sure got myself into deep trouble. The family was young 3 kids out of 5 at the time.

1st I bought a motor cycle as a gift for my wife - wrong thing to do.

Decided to take the shotgun and hunt some rabits. The kids came running after me screaming - don't kill the easter bunny. At least I was smart enough to stop hunging rabbits on that trip.

But the wife did make some rolls which ended up being burnt and very hard. She tossed them. So I decided to use them for target practice. Another huge mistake. Now remember the wife tossed them in a garbage sack. Even though they were not editable, hard, burnt - I sould ahve been sensitive enough to know that was forbidden shotgun target material. Could never figure that one out.

Now I really need some girly things...
  • Grillmama
    Options
    O.k. the motorcycle thing....what were you thinking...? :ohmy:

Does she like to cook? Give her some cooking utensil that she might like to play with.....bread machine? if you all don't have one? A Kitchen Aid mixer does she like to bake? They come in all kinds of girly colors. They are a little pricy.

If she isn't feeling well right now what about a message or a pedicure? Or a spa day you can pick different packages..nails/hair/message so on....facials...

Does she drink? A nice bottle of wine/flowers/a card?

just ideas......
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    I can't give you comparisons, because I've only had cheap gassers, and my medium egg. But, I can't imagine any other ceramic doing any better than my egg--as far as fuel efficiency, moisture retention, temperature control, selection of eggcessories and versatility is concerned. I've heard others say that some of the other ceramics do a really good job too. The piece de resistance for me, however, is this forum. There's nothing I can't ask and not get several different great answers from some incredibly experienced chefs. Everyone really seems glad to get a chance to answer questions, and they really like it when we send pictures of our cooks. You won't be making a mistake with a Big Green Egg.
  • Rivermute
    Rivermute Posts: 35
    Options
    I consider myself a bit of a foodie.. I love kitchen toys and long drawn out projects. The egg is expensive but you really do get what you pay for. The amount of use you will get out of this thing is incredible. Personally the enjoyment I get from using this grill is worth every penny.. in fact I am buying one for my father next month. Also note that Eggcessories and tables are addictive and can end up costing more then the egg itself.. think of it as birthday/christmas presents and fathers day gifts for the next 10 years.

On a side note.. these forums are INCREDIBLE. The people here are genuine and helpful. They have a passion for food and I have yet to see a flame war or other typical negative forum behaviour. There is a definate community here.. I only wish the forums were a bit more traditional as far as format goes.