Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sawdust for smoking?

Options
Suck Creek Wings
Suck Creek Wings Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is this a common practice? I read somewhere over the holiday about someone using it with good results.

Anyone have experience with it?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I saw an Alton Brown show recently where he did that. Of course his smoker also was made from a cardboard box. I would be VERY careful since you don't know for sure that the dust was created from untreated lumber......
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Saw something Alton was doing also.

He used a pie tin over an electric element.

In the egg I wouldn't use sawdust in an egg with possibly one exception.

Sawdust can be extremely flamable and or it can snuff out the lump if one uses a lot.

If the sawdust were to be put into foil 'tubs' with some holes in the top of the foil tubs. That may allow for some controlled smoke to be released.

my 2¢

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Smoking pellets are generally made from hardwood sawdust, so I think if you know the source of the dust you would be safe. Traeger pellets made from hardwood are the sole heat source in their grills, so I figure they are safe.

The questions is, why would you want to?