Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: A Follow Up On Home Security

Options
Semolina Pilchard
Semolina Pilchard Posts: 768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The typical smoke alarm in rooms other than your bedroom is not very effective because if you're sleeping and a smoke alarm in your kitchen goes off, epecially if your A/C or heater is running, you are not likely to hear it. There are new types of smoke alarms where if one goes off, every smoke alarm in your house sounds. They are avaiable in hardwired, or individual battery powered wireless units. Lowes has the battery powered units for $39 a piece.

Comments

• WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    Good post Semolina.

Most of the newer homes have the hard-wired smoke and fire detectors which are connected as you describe. If not then people should definitely use as many quality detectors as they can afford and install without making the home look like a missile silo. :)

I have smoke and fire detectors near my hot water heater, electrical fuse panel, every hallway, every pair of steps, every bedroom, and several in the garage. Kitchen detectors are ok but require careful placement to prevent false alarms. Smoke and fire detectors should generally be placed high since heat and smoke will rise and collect at the high points. CO detectors are typically more expensive so some people only get one - if so then it is best in or near the bedroom since you will need to wake up quickly if there is a problem.

This site has some good info.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    As a user of ADT service at two venues, I am very pleased with them. I quit smoking (cigs) over 3 years ago using a painless, one-time treatment and I figure that, coupled with the fact that I now do most of my cooking outdoors lowered my chances of a house fire by almost a gazillion percent! Happy smokin', cookin', or whatever oscillates your joy ride here on planet Earth!~~ 8 - )