Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any suggestions on cooking Elk Steaks?

Options
summerssmokehouse
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have two New York strip Elk steaks , and two fillets in the freezer and am wondering how I should cook them and what degrees? I was thinking of wrapping spinach and cheese or doing something u niche. I need to know also what to marinade them in.

Thanks,

Steven

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    hate to say it... i'm a purist. if you have them all the time, sure, wrap them and marinate them. but if this is your first time, i'd go hot, fast, rare, salt and pepper.

would be sad if it were your first time, and you marinated them, wrapped them in spincah, covered in cheese, etc. and when someone asked you what the elk tasted like you'd hafta say "i dunno, i couldn't taste it under all the other stuff"

i'd salt it, sear it, then add cracked pepper. but that's just me.
    145 max internal, and then take it off. 135 would be better (for rare to med-rare)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Options
    I second that. I have done Elk steaks a couple of times. First time was salt, pepper and T-Rex. Second time was dizzy pig raising the steaks and T-Rex. Only 125 internal. Very good. Lean meat so i guess you could argue there is room for other flavours approaches but how would you compare if you used a marinade first time out?

Had Elk burgers tonight...awesome !

Let us know how it went
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Wow, I would love to have some of that stuff to egg...
    Enjoy!
  • summerssmokehouse
    Options
    Hey guys thanks for the suggestions, and for Bacchus I will get you the lik of where I bought the elk from.

Steven Summers
    Magee, MS.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    elk has a VERY subtle flavor. don't mean to beat you about the head and neck for suggesting marinatin. it's certainly "marinate-able" (is that a word?).

i pan seared the bajeezus out of a slice from a rack of elk, together with a pan crusted polenta (which i burnt). this was a re-heat of some leftovers from a local restaurant that serves game food.

elksteakcastiron.jpg

elkstealplated.jpg

let us know how your cook turns out.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante