Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Time and Temp curves

Options
Dr. Eggstein
Dr. Eggstein Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I smoked a brisket for the first time yesterday. Had a 5lb Flat cut (didn't learn about whole brisket until after...). The brisket was on the LBGE for about 9 hours. I had difficulty achieving dome temp of 250 degrees F. I was up around 265-275 for most of the cook. After three hours at 185 in the meat, I pulled it. What I wonder, is if I took the meat off too early. Strange for 9 hours to be early on a 5lb brisket, right? But, the meat temp. never really plateaued until the end. See my graph. BTW, temps are from basic skewer type meat thermometer.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Flats are a little different cook than the whole packer cut. You didn't say what temp you pulled it at.
  • Dr. Eggstein
    Options
    I pulled it at 185 degrees F, at which it had stayed for about 3 hours. I was hoping my picture of the graph would illustrate the temperatures, but the pics are proving a challenge, too.

I'm serving it today and want to reheat in a liquid - perhaps something that may continue to tenderize?
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    After you get your brisket situation under control, look at

http://www.rickstropicaldelight.com/Photobucketphotos.htm

for help on posting photos.
  • mattm
    mattm Posts: 56
    Options
    Brisket will hang on a temp around 160 to 180 because the meat is using energy to breakdown the internal stuff connective tissues, etc (I am sure someone has the tecnical details on some web site somewhere) rather than to cook the meat. Anyway, the hang in temp is normal and is necessary to tenderize the brisket. I usually pull my brisket at 190-195 internal temp. Not sure what 185 will produce for you.

If you just pulled it try putting it in a cooler wrapped in foil and then wrapped in towels or a blanket and let it sit for a few hours.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Sounds like you were in the plateau when you pulled it. I will normally do a flat to 165 internal and then wrap it in foil and add a 1/2 cup of beef broth to the package. Then cook to 195 internal.

I think you are on the right track. Wrap it in foil and add the liquid of your choice to it and reheat in a warm oven or on the egg.
  • Dr. Eggstein
    Options
    [img size=150][/img]