Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Top Sirloin (15 lb.) recipes?

Options
Beli
Beli Posts: 10,751
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any ideas?? TKS

DSCN3417.jpg

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Well to start with you could bring it to florida and I'll help you eat,,,,I mean cook it. That is one nice looking chunk of beef Beli. I'll let the experts chime in on this one, I'd hate to give you bad advice on great piece.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I can't help with the cook but I am curious about the price. Is it 473 peso's which I get 45 US dollars or about 3 $ a pound not a bad deal at all.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one that might help. How many pesoes to the US$?

Beef, Steak, Sirloin, Red Eye Cow Lick Top, Nature Boy

For the Eggfest I cooked a couple large top sirloin steaks from Costco. Top sirloins are not the tender fatty cuts like porterhouses, rib steaks, NY strips or tenderloins. They are a little less tender, but full of good beef flavor. And at $3.79 for Choice grade, I choose these a lot! These guys were 2 inches thick...and one was close to 3....kinda like a little mini roast!

INGREDIENTS:
    top sirloin steaks - two inches thick
    Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak rub
    Dizzy's Red Eye Express Rub
    1/2 cup olive oil

Procedure
    1 The day before, lightly trim the steaks and put in a large ziplock with a half cup or so of good olive oil.
    2 About an hour before the cook, I coated heavily with rub....one with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak rub and the other with Dizzy's Red Eye Express.
    3 Based on the thickness of the steaks, and the fact that the Red Eye rub has sugar in it, I opted for a sear at around 600 degrees over an established glowing bed of orange coals.
    4 About 4 minutes a side gave me the sear I wanted,
    5 then I moved the steaks (mini roasts!) to the front of the cooker, which at the time was the coolest part of the cooker. Closed the bottom vent and cooked around ten minutes.
    6 A finger test revealed the 2 incher was done...pulled it off and a WooDoggies thermapen check said 128...perfect. But the thicker piece (3") still a bit squishy and went another 10 minutes.
    7 Rest 15 minutes, then slice thin against the grain and serve. At the Eggfest this was served with nothing but the juice on the plate.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Chris Capell, AKA "Nature Boy"

Source: BGE Forum, Nature Boy, 2001/08/18
  • Beli
    Options
    :laugh: OK Pat will love to go to Florida.. :)
  • Beli
    Options
    Yes that's it. From Costco.
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    Beli, Tough one to give you advice on.... Typically, that would be a med rare cook in my house and then I'd slice it down for sandwiches... but I have a small commercial slicer. If that's your goal, I think I'd pick up the temp to maybe 350 and shoot for a 130 internal....

If you're expecting to cook it till tender.... well.... not the right cut. There isn't enough fat inside to keep it moist IMHO. Best bet would be to go low and slow I guess....
  • Beli
    Options
    TKS Warren, what's the name of the bullterrier?
  • Beli
    Options
    TKS for sharing Richard.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Deferred to the experts but none here yet. If it was mine I would (like unconundrom said) go low and slow. Think I would split it and do half direct and half indirect at 275-300 and cook to 125 internal then foil and rest. Slice thin and serve with au jus and maybe horseradish. You got me curious now so I'll take out a home equity and get me a half of cow to play with. :woohoo: . Got a great recipe for philly cheese steaks if you under cook some.
    Good luck
  • Beli
    Options
    TKS Pat. Still making the final adjustments.....will cook it on saturday................and .let you know