Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cool Egg Mates Addition

Options
Mitch's Oh Yeah!
Mitch's Oh Yeah! Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My brother in law hooked me up with Corian tops for my Egg Mates. I also turned a friends old kitchen Island into a BBQ Table/Work Area.

For those of you that saw my new XL BGE a few weeks ago will notice that the vent is now in the front where it belongs. :)

Thank you to all for the great feedback, tips, ideas and recipes.

I hope to be cooking at the Eggs By the Bay next year.

Cheers.

Mitch's Oh Yeah!

DSC05603.jpg

DSC05609.jpg

Comments

• East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Very nice.

Will the Corian deal with the heat??

Greg
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Corian is not heat resistant. Here's a link to an FAQ: Corian FAQ It says Corian is heat resistant to 212 degrees F.

"We do not recommend placing a hot pot directly on Corian®. Although Corian® remains stable and undamaged in temperatures up to 212ºF (100ºC), high heat or flame will damage your surface. In most cases, this damage can be repaired. To protect your Corian® from heat damage, always use a hot pad or a trivet with rubber feet when using hot pots, or heat-generating appliances like electric skillets or electric cooking pots."
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mitch's Oh Yeah!
    Options
    I've had a Corian kitchen for years and never had a problem. You just don't set something blazing on it. My brother in law is an expert with the product and continues to fill me in with all the details. He let's me know what it can handle and what it can't.

Mitch
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Hey Mitch, that's looking pretty slick. That's an awesome side table that your bud gave you from his kitchen. You may want to check castor city and get larger castors for your new side table. It'll roll a lot easier. As green as your grass is you must be getting some rain out there, lawn looks like it's been cooked in the egg.

http://www.castercity.com/cm9-pa.htm
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi Looks great and the draft is much prettier that way B) LOL We did that with my dads egg in Fl and used tile. Dad set a hot cast iron pot on one right off the egg with no towel under it and SNAP, but they are cheep and easy to replace.
    dadsegg3.jpg
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    As a former corian salesrep I can tellyou that corian is good up to about 300 degrees before it starts to melt. The beauty of it is if you do scorch it you can sand and buff it back to new. The one problem outdoors is that it's not lightfast and will fade. If so you can ask a corian fabricator in your area for a few sink cutouts and cut them to size and sand the edges and you'll have brand new ones. You only need standard woodworking toold to cut and sand corian or any solid surface for that matter.
  • Mitch's Oh Yeah!
    Options
    Thank you Knauf for the feedback!

Mitch