Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planked Scallops ???

Options
EggMeOn
EggMeOn Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever planked scallops? Crazy idea? Were they any good? Details?
Thanks.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one way.

Scallops, Planked

Steve in Maryland,I love scallops!! The best way to do them IMHO is on a Alder wood Plank. Soak your plank for at least 1 hour, longer if you can. I use a combination of Garilc and Bad Byrons Butt Rub on my scallops. Pre-heat your egg to about 325, steady your temp then place your empty plank on the Egg, close Egg. After about 5 minutes flip the plank and let it go for about 5-7 more minutes. When you open you egg, the plank should be smoking/ steaming. This is the time to put your scallops on. Brush plank lightly with olive oil, place your scallops on plank, close egg and cook 10-15 minutes depending on your preference of doneness. They end up with a lovely smoky flavor. No matter how many I do at one time there has still never been enough, everyone still wants more. Good luck!!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Renee Attili, 2007/06/16
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    this may help::

Scallops, Planked

Steve in Maryland,I love scallops!! The best way to do them IMHO is on a Alder wood Plank. Soak your plank for at least 1 hour, longer if you can. I use a combination of Garilc and Bad Byrons Butt Rub on my scallops. Pre-heat your egg to about 325, steady your temp then place your empty plank on the Egg, close Egg. After about 5 minutes flip the plank and let it go for about 5-7 more minutes. When you open you egg, the plank should be smoking/ steaming. This is the time to put your scallops on. Brush plank lightly with olive oil, place your scallops on plank, close egg and cook 10-15 minutes depending on your preference of doneness. They end up with a lovely smoky flavor. No matter how many I do at one time there has still never been enough, everyone still wants more. Good luck!!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Renee Attili, 06/16/07

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    1 min and 1 second this time i must be getting rusty :blush:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    2 out of 3 ain't bad for a southern boy! I am going swimming. You'r in charge.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01533aB.jpg

Yeah, they are great. Try to get ones the same size and after your plank is soaked, oiled and preheated, put two or three on. Wait five minutes and add the rest. Monitor those early ones, use an instant thermometer, your finger or just cut one in half and test it.

I'm sure you see where I'm headed.....when one of the testers is perfect, you have exactly five minutes before the others are ready.

dsc03528aL.jpg

dsc03529aL.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery