Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first brisket

Options
englishman_in_nj
englishman_in_nj Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd always avoided brisket ... but had my first stab yesterday. :)

It was a 3lb brisket (I know - the smaller they are they drier they can be) ... but wanted to start off small. Used hickory chips on a fire @ 225.

Prepped:

photo2.jpg

About 3 hours in:

photo3.jpg

After 8 or so hours (unfoiled):

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

All in all pretty happy. The meat was nice and juicy; even got a nice little smoke ring going! :)

I'd read all about the meat 'plateau-ing' - which it did, stubbornly, at 150 for at least a couple of hours. I took it off when it finally reached 185 and then let sit for an hour or so. :whistle:

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Looks good. I usually cook to an internal temp of 195. Was yours tender??
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Looks good. As smokey said try pulling it at 195° - 200°. Then foil and wrap in some blanket's or towls and let the meat rest for 1 to 3 hours.

I don't foil at all during the cook unless I need to cook at a higher temp to get the cook done quicker.

Again, congratulations, the cook looks really nice.

Don't forget to share some of your recipe's from over there.
    Have a nice evening, just past noon over here.

GG
  • englishman_in_nj
    Options
    AH - thank you ... I think I perhaps pulled a little early (and the foiling in Egg didn't mean I got such a great crust) ....

points very well taken and will be applied next time :)

B)
  • englishman_in_nj
    Options
    I think I pulled too early (and the foiling didn't help) ... but it wasn't tough, but could have been better for sure.

thanks for the help! :whistle:
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Looks pretty good man! I too like to pull at about 195, and I have always found that small briskets are harder to get tender too. So if it came out pretty good, I'd say you did great!