Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling Crappie

Options
Fireball II
Fireball II Posts: 213
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody got any recipes on grilling Crappie?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Crappie just beg to be fried. I have put them in an aluminum pan with butter/salt and pepper. I have heard of people using a cedar plank as well.

Mike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Please don't try to fry anything in your egg - that's asking for a major fire and danger! Even excessive fat in a drip pan can catch fire and do serious damage.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fireball II
    Options
    I done the same thing in a pan on my weber. Just looking fro something new other than frying. Thanks
  • Fireball II
    Options
    RRP

I have a commercial fryer in my grilling station in my back yard. I am looking for some grilling recipe for grilling. I have used a pan with butter and seasoning on my weber. Thanks
  • East Bay Al
    East Bay Al Posts: 101
    Options
    At the risk of being one of those people who chime in with no direct experience, I will say that I've cooked and eaten lots of Crappie, but not grilled them. I have grilled surf perch, which are a similar size/ shape and even close in taste. What I do with them is gut/ clean/ scale/ head & tail them. Rinse and pat dry. If the fish are good sized/ thick, make 2-3 diagonal slashes thru the flesh, to the ribs. Rub with some olive oil, salt/ pepper/ or rub to taste (try Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin)and slide a couple of thin lemon slices into the body cavity. I grill direct over med heat (350-400) for 5 min per side- use your judgement based on size of the fish. Flip once.
    For another taste, use slices of ginger in the cavity, and sprinkle with soy after turning them.
    Let us know how it turns out. And I like that its always 5:00 at the river!
    Al
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Sometimes earlier than that. :woohoo: Is it thick enough to blacken? I have a couple lbs. coming my way tomorrow. I'll try something.

Mike
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    I have cooked them in a tin foil pouch with evoo and lemon pepper and some butter. I leave the pouch open at the top to get some smoke. I have always said that I would try them direct on top of slices of lemon to keep them from sticking. I have also done catfish this way too. Maybe even some lemon and herb rub on them would be good as well. I live down close to Cabot but I come to Wynne to work nice to see you on the board JD. John
  • Fireball II
    Options
    have never tried crappie blacken ina skillet like we do redfish. I don't see why thje crappie with blacken seasoning in an AL pan would be great. I must try it. If you work up a good recipe drop a line. Thanks
  • Fireball II
    Options
    Thanks John
    I am from Forrest City Moved to Paragould 20 + years ago.
  • Fireball II
    Options
    Thanks East Bay AL