Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT:Just got home

Options
"Sparky"
"Sparky" Posts: 6,024
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
from the longest short trip in the world.In the last 3.5 days,about 34hrs were in this :pinch:

003-10.jpg

Yes my ass hurts,as I stand here playing with my laptop. :lol: Long trip,but something that I needed to do.For those at home keeping score:There are still no signs of improvement,but it is not getting worse either.For those that don't know,my father suffered a head injury and is in ICU,heavily medicated.There is no way to tell if he has any braindamage until the swelling goes down.I will keep you posted :S On the plus side,I got home to a very happy 5 yr old and all is better already :woohoo: Also,since I spent my B-day on the road,I came home to this :woohoo: :woohoo:

004-13.jpg

007-13.jpg

I can't wait to try it,but I also have a new pizza stone to break in.Maybe some other day,i'm too tired to mess with it right now ;):)

Comments

• Firestarter21
    Options
    Glad to see you made it home. Sorry to hear about your father, he will be in our prayers. Congrats on the new toys, you will have a blast breaking them in!! Take it easy and enjoy your Bday gifts.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Glad to see you made it home. Sorry to hear about your father, he will be in our prayers. Congrats on the new toys, you will have a blast breaking them in!! Take it easy and enjoy your Bday gifts.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Welcome home Doug. Hope you are holding up ok. Thats a lot to deal with mentally and physically with the drive, losing sleep, etc. Best Wishes!

Barrett, that is the coolest Avatar on the forum.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Thanks Barrett,I was thinking of breaking in the DO with Rusty Roosters cobbler,but you couldn't pay me to get back in that damn car to get the fixins for it :lol:
  • raider60
    raider60 Posts: 62
    Options
    Good luck to you and prayers for your father--
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Thanks Ron, I have had it in mind for a while, I was thinking how could I incorporate fire into my avatar. And this came to mind a while ago. I figured out how to post the avatar like we were trying to figure out at doug's a couple days after we were doing that. Then I finally got around to doing it this morning. Oh the things that seem so much more intriguing than studying Dynamics :S . 4 weeks and these classes will be over.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    That is exactly what came to mind when I saw your DO too. Maybe the wife could pick up the fixings if she heads out today. ;)
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Barrett, I wonder if you could crop the original then redo it to make the fire or men larger......
    Whatever the case, very nice. Good idea to use an album cover, then use one of the coolest album covers ever.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Thank you very much raider.Thanks Ron,sorry I missed out on the burgers Friday(really sorry).I was eating crappy take-out instead :( I might fire up one or two eggs later to make sure I didn't forget how to use them :lol:
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    I started to do that, but I like the whole cover at the same time, but maybe i will do that and see how it looks as an avatar. Yet another mission to get sidetracked from hw.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    No problem bud. I ended up cooking chicken for Eileen and her friend Steph.
    Last night we went to dinner at "New York Prime", took in a show, and got a nice hotel room down there for a little mini vacation. I had a bowl of incredible seafood bisque followed up by a bone in ribeye that was fantastic. A nice bottle of 2002 Napa Cab acompanied us.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Oh yea,yesterday I left the hospital at 2:00PM,drove for 9 hrs,and crashed at an Econo Lodge in Duram NC :woohoo: Beat that :silly: :lol: Glad you had a good time ;)
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Oooh man, sorry I wasnt thinking. I will pick us up some ribeye's for next time we hook up.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Hey Doug,

Glad to hear you made it back safely. We will be praying for your fater's quick recovery.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Thanks alot Smokey.Your avatars always make me laugh :lol:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Hey Doug
    Difficult situation but with strong possibilities....I can just say the sooner you get him out of ICU the better. My best wishes for fis recovery...& yes......you have got the right attitude "on the plus side"
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Hey thanks Beli,I try to keep a sence of humor in all situations.This is a little different.I was named the next of kin because my older brother is out of reach.I had to go see him for personal reasons.This was the first time I have seen him in 24 yrs.I just turned 35,so do the math.24 years ago,we went home for Cristmas and went to see him.Before Friday,if I saw him on the street,I would't recognise him.He started calling when we had our son 5 yrs ago.He helps us out financially from time to time and always wants to know how Carson is doing.Carson already has a grandfather,as I already have a father.Not biological,but someone who would do anything for us.I am not trying to say that he is a bad guy,just a bad father.He is a Vietnam veteran with a Purple Heart and various other metals.He knows that he screwed up and he always told me how sorry he was.I'm sorry for going on and on,but I need to get this off my chest.Thanks for listening and please keep him in your thoughts
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Doug,

We're thinking of your father and family.

I had a serious head injury in May 1990, it was on my Mom's 50th birthday, which fell on Mother's day that year. Fortunately, in my case, the emergency surgery removed the fractured skull from pressing on the brain, reduced the swelling and despite the neurosurgeon's concern, I was able to speak when I recovered. So I can't say I know what you're going through (I had the easy part, I was unconscious while the rest of my family worried), I do know how hard it is on you guys.

Wishing you only the best!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    Gald you made it back safely. How is Rex? Maybe you could take is pic beside your egg and we could tell how much he has grown.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'll keep your dad in my prayers, Doug.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Thanks Susan,these are the most recent pics of Rex ;)

008-13.jpg

008-12.jpg

But you need to remember these ;):)

008-5.jpg

002-6.jpg
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Doug,
    I hope you know that our thoughts and prayers are with your father, you, and your family. I'm hoping for best outcome possible. Happy late Bday Brother!
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Thanks alot Chris and Brad.I really just don't know what to think or do.I just had to make this trip.I decided to go at about 1:00AM on Thursday,and I left about 6:00AM the same day.I am very happy to be home right now,and hope to fire up the eggs for dinner ;) There is alot of sh!t going on in my head right now :huh: I really appreciate all of the support from this forum.You guys are great,thanks
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    I will Doug,
    Thanks for your trust and be sure that I will keep you & your family present wishing that everithing is fine again. I can only say good that you went to see him, and good that you are keeping an open door..I can't even imagine what going to Vietnam must have been like at all.......I'm sure if you dig deep enough you will find out that all that goodness you once knew is still there. All the best!!!!!!!!!!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hey Sparky,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Options
    Hey Doug,

Keeping your Dad and family in our prayers.

Jimmy
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    You guys are great,thanks alot for your insight.You are good friends,even if i've never met you ;) Thanks,
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Hope it all works out for you and your family. Keep strong.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Glad you made it back safe buddy. As always it was great talking with you. Happy Birthday.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Doug,

Sometimes no change in these situations is good. Hope there is more positive feedback in the future.

On another note, I just bought that dutch oven and had to take back because it does not fit on my small. It might have fit if I cut off the handles.

I just did not want to take the risk.

Greg