Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Tandoori

Options
Keller Steeler
Keller Steeler Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got an egg, but have been smoking for quite a while. Right now I am playing around with things I could not cook on my smoker. I picked it up last Sunday and cooked steaks and then Pizza on Friday night - love this thing so far.

I have some chicken marinating right now for chicken tandoori. With everything I have read I am going to cook it hot and fast - the marinade (yogurt based) is supposed to protect the chicken from 500-600 temp. If anyone has cooked this before did you use a place setter with legs up or do you cook it directly over the coals?

Thanks

Comments

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I did it once, used placestter legs up and a raised grate. They came out very good.
  • East Bay Al
    East Bay Al Posts: 101
    Options
    Check the recipes on this site. The little bit of Indian style (Chicken Tika) weve done has been high temp, direct. I think the Tandoori ovens go up to around 900*. I settled for 6-700- pizza temps. If you do Nan, you will want to look at the pizza recipes on this web site and the Naked Whiz site for tips.
    Good luck and let us know what you did and how it turned out.
    al
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    My first cook that went bad was Tandori Chicken. This guy helped alot. http://www.bbqblue.com.au/smoke_woods/site_files/cordon_blue_roasting_chicken.html
    Recomend indirect and NO SMOKE! smoke and yogurt equals bitter.
    TTFN WLL
  • Keller Steeler
    Options
    Well I would call this more of a learning session than anything. The fire never got hot - it stormed here last night. Even though the cooker was under cover, I guess the lump got wet. It was hard to light even though I added some fresh. I had two previous cooks and had no probelm getting her hot - I guess I did not have enough lump or it was wet. Anyway - the flavor was good, but the tenderness, texture had a lot to be desired - the outside cooked a lot faster than the inside. Live and learn.

I did not have any red food coloring, but my girls had Neon pink and Neon purple I mixed. :unsure:
    tandoori003.jpg
    tandoori005.jpg
    tandoori006.jpg
    tandoori008.jpg
    tandoori009.jpg