Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IS A UMBRELLA NEEDED HAVING LG COOKOUT?

Options
Marvelous
Marvelous Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having a large group over for dinner on two weekends cooking steaks and will do Tex method. We are having a lot of rain lately and I was thinking about buying one of those 6'-9 ' they stand about six foot high umbrellas that come with a 60 pound base. I would not open it during the inital fire when smoke is thick but when smoke clears I would then open it up. I would install it close to my egg table. My question do I have enough air supply for the remaining smoke. Second thought I could move umbrella back behind me just to cover myself and daisy wheel and thermometer.Please advise me what your thoughts are

Thanks

Marvelous

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    No problem with patio umbrellas

100_1626.jpg
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    I use one frequently here in tampa. I only use it for low-med temp cooks though. If I burned my wife's Pottery Barn umbrella doing a T-Rex, I'd be toast.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Marvelous:

I'm in the Tampa area also and use mine occasionally. It is really handy when it does rain during a cook.

Opened...
    P4060006.jpg

and closed
    P4060008.jpg

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I think a good umbrella is great to have. Not only to keep the sun and rain off you while cooking or enjoying an outside meal.

I never liked the center-pole type umbrellas so we went for an offset. $150 and it has been among my better investments.

OffsetUmbrella.jpg

We picked green for ours. Here's a side view.

TableandSpafromCoop5-16-08.jpg

I think you will be very pleased with the ease of opening and closing it, and the ability to collapse it when not needed. It also handles 25 MPH wind with ease.

Spring "Raindrops Don't Be Falling On My Head" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Marvelous
    Marvelous Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks just saved me a few hundred bucks I looked at the pottery barn umbrella yesterday and was going to buy it today however doing tex steaks is what I will be doing most of it is a no no thanks Marvelous
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    No Sweat. An umbrella with a sunroof is NOT GOOD.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Beautiful backyard Spring. Can we all sit in the hot tub while you Egg us up some grub? :silly:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I have a 10 x 10 canopy that fits on my deck perfectly. The only problem is that it is a complete pain in the tail to put up and take down, so I hardly use it unless I know it's going to rain and I have a long cook planned. This has led to my last two cooks being finished with me having to hold an umbrella in one hand while I finished things up.

I'm thinking I might have to get me one of those nice offset umbrellas too!

Hope your cookouts go well!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Come on down. We're headed to the grocery right now. We'll pick up some tube-steaks or something really cheap but tasty. No full-bodied meat. There's a recession on you know. LOL

Spring "Unlimited Dreams On A Limited Budget" Chicken
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I've used a center pole and cantilever umbrellas over my eggs. If possible, I recommend the cantilever, as the pole can be positioned out of your way.

Couple things to consider. First, make sure it will open without hitting the egg(s). Egg(s) in tables can sit higher than conventional patio tables. Second, it's securely set - hate to have it tip over on a hot egg. Third, the umbrealla has an open air flap at the center top - helps equalize wind forces. Fourth, you get what you pay for with umbrellas, cheap prices mean cheap construction.

2ndshots021.jpg

With smoke, not really a problem, as the slightest breeze will move the smoke.

121_2119.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    dang it, missed it again.

I must have 3PD - proper post placement disorder, LOL
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.