Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs

Options
Kgbrdh
Kgbrdh Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
understand the rib recipe, haven't gotten platesetter yet, can i do the indirect method some other way??

Comments

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Sure.

Put a pizza stone on the cooking grate.
    Put fire bricks beside the pizza stone.
    Place a second cooking grate on the fire bricks.

If you don't have a pizza stone; use a few fire bricks, a couple cookie sheets stacked with air space between them, baking sheets, your wife’s best china serving platter (maybe not), or what ever you have that will block the direct heat from the lump.

No fire bricks (spacers)?
    No suitable substitute?
    BGE dealer doesn’t have a spare (second) fire ring?
    Remove the fire ring.
    Place the first cooking grate on top of the fire box.
    Replace the fire ring.
    Place the pizza stone (or substitute) and the second cooking grate.

No second grate?
    You didn’t say what size BGE you have, but…
    Weber sells replacement grates through Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, …:
    18.5 inches for the small kettle.
    The charcoal grate for the 22.5 inch kettle is about 17.5 inches and made of much heavier material than the cooking grates.
    The WSM uses 17 and 17.5 inch grates.
    I don’t know about the fire grate for the small kettle. 14 inches? Maybe?

- or -

Bend a couple coat hangers into a sling that you can use to suspend a suitable barricade to the direct heat below the cooking grate.

- or -

Your turn. Use your imagination. That is, after all, what makes it fun!
  • Kgbrdh
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions....Hum will have to think about this :)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    get two of those kettle grids along with a 10" coal grate for one and you can make up Old Dave's rig using a threaded rod some washers and bolts. I think I used 5/16 rod and bolts. You attach the 10" grid beneath one kettle grid about 3" below it and just put foil on it for a heat shield. You can then make legs and feet for the second grid to sit on the main cooking grid if you need a second level.

H
  • Kgbrdh
    Options
    Have a med egg so not alot of room. only have one grate so...ended using the egg feet to set a cookie sheet on then bricks to rest the grate on. will see how that works for today. Have to see about getting some add ons!!!!