Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ II help, please

Options
untateve
untateve Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife, a good woman, bought me the DigiQ II for father's day. I'm using it for the first time tonight on a pork butt.

The "pit" temp is holding steady at 220 degrees and working wonderfully.

However, the food temp probe is not getting a reading. All I get is the dreaded three dashes ( - - - ). I've unplugged the probe and plugged it back in; I've shut down the whole unit, checked the probe to make sure it is securely attached--still no reading. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I don't know what you are doing wrong but is 220 the temp at the dome or at the grid? You really want to cook pork butt at 250 at the dome...
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    The most common problem is the connection plug is not all the way plugged in. Push it in really hard to make sure it is in there. I haven't had any issues with mine, but have heard this is a problem with some people's. Give that a try and restart it and see what happens. Also, like Kim said, 220 is low if your pit temp is hooked to the inside of the BGE thermometer. If is is hooked to the grate this may be ok, but if not it may be a little low. The grate temp is about 25 degrees lower than the dome temp. I cook my butts at 245-255 dome temp, with the Digi Q II attached to the inside of the dome thermometer that comes with the egg.
    Good luck, hope this helps.
  • untateve
    Options
    My dome is at 250, my grid (where the probe is) is at 220.

I just pushed the food probe in as hard as I could, shut down the guru, powered back up and no luck. It's starting to look like I have a bad probe.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Just to make sure unplug both probes and turn off Guru and unplug the unit. Plug both probes back in and give a good twist as you push then plug guru back in and power up. If still --- then probe bad.
  • untateve
    Options
    no luck. I've e-mailed the good people at bbq guru. I've heard the customer service there is great.

thanks for the help.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Yep they will take care of you! B)
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm sure this has been covered, but, the probes must be plugged into the guru before you turn it on. I set up the fire with the grid probe and then tried to plug in the meat probe when I put on the meat. Same thing
    I finally powered off the digi-que then powered on with both probes connected and both worked. Remeber to scroll to both temperature settings and set them both. You might also try giving them a call if the email doesn't come back. GOOD FOLKS over there. thanks rc