Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking lemon fish on the BGE (help!)

Options
deepsouth
deepsouth Posts: 1,796
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i haven't gotten my dizzy pig seasonings yet, but i have a big 1.7 piece of lemon fish i plan on cooking tonight on the BGE.

this is the first time i've done fish on the BGE. i'm not sure if i should cook directly or indirectly and if i should put foil over the grate or not......

i'd love some recommendations on cooking time and temp. i think i'm going to season it with some EVOO, black pepper, tony's, cavander's & salt. i'm completely open to suggestions on this though.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    planked ?????
    or just slice a lemon into thin rounds and put the lemon slices on the grid and the fish on top of the lemon slices so it won't stick.
    planked would be direct...fish on the lemon, either way... raise the grid if direct [although i do not bother]
    bill
  • deepsouth
    Options
    how do i raise the grid? i have a platesetter, but wouldn't adding that in be doing it indirect???
  • SmokeyD
    SmokeyD Posts: 46
    Options
    You can do direct or indirect. It's really more of the flavor and texture that you want. Indirect will be more like baked fish. Direct will have more grill flavor. I prefer direct. You can do direct even if you don't have a way to raise the grid, just lower the temps.
  • deepsouth
    Options
    how do you guys recommend raising the grill?
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    deepsouth,
    i go with smokeyd here... i go direct regular grid lower temp.. if you have another grid and some fire bricks you can raise the grid but, as i said, i do not. 300-325°. let us know how it turns out. pics are always good . happy friday eggin
    bill
  • deepsouth
    Options
    thanks for the info! i'm still super new at this and i'm not sure what fire bricks are. are they a BGE product like the platesetter i bought?

for this time, i'm going to go direct/w lemon slices with the grill in it's normal position.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    my appologies for mentioning the raised grid just added confusion,,, i do my fish as you are about to and i am always happy [of course that might be the beer and not the fish B) ]
  • deepsouth
    Options
    i'll try to take and post some photos this weekend!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    lemon fish, is that cobia or lemon flavored fish, i looked it up and found cobia. another trick other than lemons is a bed of green onions or chives, sometimes i pick up a handful and layy it across the grill if the fish is the flakey variety
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • deepsouth
    Options
    it is cobia. you are correct. i have also heard it called ling.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    Cobia is one the best testing fish. I would suggest a 50/50 olive oil /butter dip and then some spices and cook direct at about 400.

Be careful not to overcook the fish.

Good eats B)
  • deepsouth
    Options
    ok, so i forgot to take pictures, but here is what i did......

a little bit of lump in the BGE (cowboy is the only kind i can find down here). lit it up. let that get right.....

cut cobia/lemon fish into serving size portions and seasoned with cavander's greek seasoning, a bit of tony's and some salt and pepper. i squeezed over a bit of lemon.

i cut lemon into thin slices and placed them on the grill and placed the pieces of fish on top of the lemons. let those cook on one side, lid closed. flipped once, cooked some more with lid closed.

in between flips i basted the fish with an evoo/butter combo.

i then took the fish off the lemons and placed the pieces directly on the grill and the lemons were pretty much black and stuck to the grate. the fish was not burned at all. i let the fish get some grill marks for presentation by throwing the lemon remnants onto the coals producing a flame that made the fish look very appetizing.

the temp with the dome closed hung around 400.

my wife said it was "restaurant quality". i'm more modest than that. it was good and i'd definitely serve it to company though.

thanks all for the tips. you guys made this successful.