Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cajuns! Shrimp boil?

OzarkQ
OzarkQ Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just found out that they aren't running crawdaddies this week... and we had a boil planned. I know it's late.. but I thought July 4th was the last weekend... oh well.. we're going to do a shrimp boil instead. The best crawdad boil we did was where we mixed the liquid and powder zatarans and then when we turned off the heat, dumped in a couple bags of ice with a couple sticks of butter - but we don't exactly remember how we did it. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Geoff

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I throw a couple of those Zaterains spice bags and some Old Bay and salt in mine. -RP
    IMG_0131Small.jpg
    IMG_0138Small.jpg
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    I have 25 people to feed on Sunday and this is exaclty what I am going to cook.

Another name that this goes by is Frogmore Stew.

Last year I froze the broth and made chowder and gumbo out of it all year.

Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk
  • AZRP
    Also, Low Country Boil, I have always dumped the liquid, never thought about using it for anything else. -RP
  • OzarkQ
    I was planning on getting head-on shrimp figuring the flavor should be better, what do you guys think? At least it's more fun.. ;-)
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    The only issue with Head-on Shrimp is that some people don't want to know their food that personally.

While eating shrimp in NOLA, my youngest son(3 at the time) proclaimed...Look mom they have eyes!. My wife did not eat any more that day.

You will get plenty flaovr from just the shells.

Hope this helps,
    R&J
  • AZRP
    I think I'm jealous, heads on aren't available here. I would definitely, not just for the flavor but also a more rustic presentation. Pics please! -RP
  • AZRP
    LOL, these guys were going to pinch tails and suck heads on crayfish, doubt heads on shrimp would bother them. :P-RP
  • OzarkQ
    You know it buddy! :P

Always good to tease the wifey with a little 'pinch tail ,suck head'.

Geoff
  • OzarkQ
    PS - what method would y'all use? When we boiled crawfish, we just brought it back to a boil for a couple minutes and then killed the fire and dumped in some ice and waited till goodness soaked into the meat. I've seen some online instructions that say to boil for 13 minutes (seems like that would be waaaay too long) or 5 minutes (seems ok to me). I think with shrimp I would probably just bring it back to a boil and then kill the heat to prevent overcooking (and dumping ice in again).
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    While I ALWAYS soak my crawfish, I NEVER soak my shrimp. They overcook too easily!!

My favorite boil is:
    - 60 qt pot
    - 6 cups Lousiana Brand Shrimp/Crawfish Boil powder
    - 2 Zatarain's Bags
    - 2 cups La Brand Chinese Red Pepper
    - peeled, whole cloves of garlic
    - slices of Earl Campbell Hot Link
    - Corn
    - red potatoes
    - when I can find it, Tobasco pulp - this is the pressings found at the bottom of the presses at Tobasco...yummy!

Enjoy!
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Almost forgot - hard boil for 2 mintues, then throw them in a empty cooler to steam a little.

Sauce - ketchup+prepared horseradish

Austin Smoker wrote:
    While I ALWAYS soak my crawfish, I NEVER soak my shrimp. They overcook too easily!!

My favorite boil is:
    - 60 qt pot
    - 6 cups Lousiana Brand Shrimp/Crawfish Boil powder
    - 2 Zatarain's Bags
    - 2 cups La Brand Chinese Red Pepper
    - peeled, whole cloves of garlic
    - slices of Earl Campbell Hot Link
    - Corn
    - red potatoes
    - when I can find it, Tobasco pulp - this is the pressings found at the bottom of the presses at Tobasco...yummy!

Enjoy!
  • AZRP
    I go 3 minutes boiling on 15 ct shrimp. Once they are red and curled up get them off, they over cook very easily. -RP
  • OzarkQ
    Is that 3 mintues after the water has come back up to a boil?