Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef tenderloin filet mignon

Options
jhbgreen
jhbgreen Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for tips on how to prepare and smoke a beef tenderloin filet mignon.

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Others may disagree but here's my two cents:...
    I would cut them about 1.5 inches to 2 inches thick. Salt and pepper outside surfaces. Sear at 650 or so for 90 sec per side and finish at 400 dome temp. I have done this numerous times and the meat was fantastic! It also allows to cook to individual donness requests. I have marinated them also lightly in soy type sauce and that was also good. Since there is little fat, I believe a quick sear type cook is warranted.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    There is very little fat in those cuts of meat so smoking is not a good idea. I have used the sear method as mentioned above and it works great...
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    This may cause some confusion, but are you cooking a tenderloin roast, or are you cooking filets - which are steaks cut from the tenderloin.

A roast - i.e. whole or butt portion of the tenderloin - is very good cooked at 350-400 until close to done, then an end sear at 600 or so to get a nice crust.

Steaks are excellent using the TRex method of sear-rest-roast.
  • jhbgreen
    Options
    I am cooking a roast
  • mattm
    mattm Posts: 56
    Options
    can you use the TRex method on the roast or is the "reverse TRex method best for a roast?
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I cook the whole loin in the egg by using a seasoning that Holland grill sells called Holland Greek seasoning. I make this twice a year for my family and it is requested each time.
    I would cook the loin in the egg at 400 after the smoke from the egg is very clear. It will still pick up a some smoke flavor from the charocoal.
    I put a thermometer probe in loin and pull it at 130 to 135 and wrap in foil and wrap in towel and put in cooler and it will go up to about 135 - 140 and be pink and warm in most of the center. This is a great way in case the rest of your food is not ready when the meat comes off.
  • jhbgreen
    Options
    I am not familar with the trex method