Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey you XL owners...question

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never cooked on an XL but on the large my vent setting for a low and slow are daisy petals open and bottom vent open 1/16" to 1/8". How does that compare on an XL for 250 dome? -RP

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    AZRP,

It'd been a while since I've used the XL but the openings are usually less than the Large. I always put that down to the larger diameter of lump.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    AZRP, sorry to piggy-back your post, BUT...
    Do you find that your settings vary with weather conditions (wind, temp, etc) ?

Thnaks!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Not much really, but then again we don't see very cold weather. -RP
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    Its about the same, there are variables like amount of lump in fire box, fires started, placesetter in or out. Start a shallow center fire in a full fire box, bottom vent full open top cap full open. as temp rises start shutting down bottom and top vents. in just a few moments you'll feel the zen and you will know what to do.
    FireWalker
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    On my XL I normally have the bottom vent open less 1/4 of a inch after it is going to hold 250 for a long cook. I normally have the daisy wheel so the opening are only open 40 percent or less.

With the bigger XL you want to light it in the center and and maybe only have the bottom vent half open till it gets to 250 and than shut it to less than a quarter of a inch. If you open a XL you need to do it quickly and reclose because it will go up in temperature from all the oxygen getting in and sometimes it is hard to get the temperture back down.

It does not go down in temperture quickly and one time I took all the ribs off, drip pan, stone, and spray water onto the coals to get the egg back into the range I wanted.

I use a Guru pro 4 for long cooks now and I only have the vent on the 10 cfm fan open 40 percent.
    If it is raining you will have to increase the opening.
    When it is extremely windy on the lake here you have to keep the opening closed slightly more.
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Options
    I keep my bottom vent open about 1/4" and the daisy about 1/3 open. I do notice in windy weather the temp will rise a bit but comes down fairly quick with a minor adjustment.

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • mattm
    mattm Posts: 56
    Options
    I am new on the egg and I will defer to more expreienced cooks, but I open my bottom vent about 1" and my top vent...the main/bottom one, is closed and the "daisy wheel" vent, the smaller top vent is open about 1/8 to 1/4" for a steady 250 degree cook. But I do find that wind can affect how much I need to open the bottom vent to control temps. Even in windy condistions the adjustments are minor and I agree with another post that you will find the "zen" and know.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I normally go with petals half to 3/4 open, and bottom about 1/8 to 1/4" open. Hope this helps. Going to read what the others posted now.