Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping: Baja Tom Tri Tip

Options
Ike Witt
Ike Witt Posts: 195
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Would have a good time and temp method for
Tri tip. Also a marinade if you use one.

thanks
allen

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This should work.
    Beef, Tri-Tip, Santa Maria Style

INGREDIENTS:
    2 3 Lbs. Each tri-tip roasts
    Seasoning Salt Mixture
    2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    2 tsp white pepper
    2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp onion powder
    4 Tbs granulated garlic
    6 Tbs salt
    Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl
    Basting Sauce
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup garlic-infused vegetable oil
    Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Procedure:
    1 Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.
    2 I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Miller aka "Morro Bay Rich"

Source: BGE EggsbytheBay, '06, Morro Bay Rich

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    I've found that if you marinate tri-tip you end up with something akin to brisket so I don't suggest it.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Ten Spice Tri-Tip

First of all, this is not my recipe. Someone here at the forum either sent it to me or posted it. If it looks familiar to anyone, please give credit where credit is due. This is verbatim.

Ten Spice Tri-Tip

Marinade (for one tri-tip)

½ cup Olive Oil
    2 Tbsp Garlic, Chopped
    2 Tbsp Chili Powder
    1 Tbsp Black Pepper
    1 Tbsp Cumin
    1 Tbsp White Pepper
    1 Tbsp Oregano
    1 Tbsp Paprika
    1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme, Chopped
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    2 tsp Garlic Powder
    1 tsp Celery Salt
    1 tsp Dry Mustard
    1 Bunch Fresh Cilantro, Chopped

Directions:
    Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Rub spice mixture on all sides of Tri-Tip. Marinate for 12 hours. Grill over high heat for ten minutes, searing each side. Lower Heat to medium and continue to grill for 20 more minutes until the internal temperature reaches 125 degrees. Let rest for 10 minutes.

Now here are my notes. I did not have Celery Salt, so I used 1 tsp of Celery Seeds and some Kosher Salt. I let the roast get to 135 and it was still rather cool in the center. I may take it to 145 next time. I also used a big chunk red oak to add some flavor.

Enjoy and Thank you to whomever originally gave me the recipe.
    RhumAndJerk
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    I do tri tips very simple. I season with salt, pepper, & garlic salt. I grill direct at 450/475 to an internal temp of 135/140 It is a very easy cook. Make sure to slice against the grain or it will be tough. Good luck to you. Tom TriTipCook3-1.jpg
  • Ike Witt
    Ike Witt Posts: 195
    Options
    Thanks TO ALL for The help....ill give er a try this weekend.

allen
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    thats the recipe i use for a guide, especially the basting sauce. i back way off on the salt though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it