Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Strong Charcoal Taste

Options
jonpol
jonpol Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm new to Egg grilling but I've come to love it in a short time. I've encountered a problem that I don't know how to fix. Once in a while, I'll get a really strong charcoal taste - almost a strong acidic taste. Last night I grilled a pork tenderloin that came out perfect except the taste was so charcoal/acidic that we threw it away. The occurrence is random and has happened with different charcoal manufacturers. I have cooked steaks that came out with this strong taste and the next time they came out fine. I've had the same problems with vegetables.
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thank you,
:huh:

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I'm guessing you are putting your food in before the fire is burning clean. With fresh lump you want to wait until there is no smoke visible before cooking. This can take 20-30 minutes after you reach your intended cooking temp. -RP
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yes I believe I can...this is one of the most common mistakes...when you are getting you fire started you probably are not letting the smoke clear...there should be little or no smoke present when you put on your food..this usually takes 15-20 minutes once the fire is started...
  • HungryNephew
    HungryNephew Posts: 267
    Options
    AZRP is correct. If there is dark smoke coming out of the top and you did not put any wood in, let it burn off before putting the meat on.

I've also noticed that a fresh batch of lump will need a longer burn off than lump that had already been burned.
  • FoolControl
    Options
    Yep. Wait until there is little or no smoke before cooking on it. Then you can add your wood chips and cook. Or not use the wood chips.

If you are using charcoal lighter fluid, that can also cause the bad taste.
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    If you are by chance using Kingsford charwood, consider switching. I bought one bag (I needed lump charcoal and it was the only lump the store sold... who knew). It ambushed me. I would have the fire going and all would be fine, then, it would ignite a piece that was truly nasty. It would occur as late as two hours into the cook and all of a sudden the ugly smoke that burned your eyes and smelled terrible. I ruined two different cooks out of the single bag. (Yes, I did try it a second time). This is my own experience only, and is not meant to reflect on Kingsford who has made many fine products for many years. It is only to advise any and all new comers to make sure you are using a good charcoal. If something is in with the lump, the fire WILL find it and burn it for you. :) thanks rc
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Were you using the Kingsford from Argentina or the Kingsford made in the US?
    The Naked Whiz
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    TNW: I didn't look, but, I bought it at the Commisary at Quantico MCB here in Virginia. I should be going by there before next weekend so, I will look at their stock and see if I can get a country of origen. thanks rc
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    My first couple of cooks were the same way. I was putting the meat on too soon and not letting the smoke clear and the fire stabilize. Good luck
  • jonpol
    jonpol Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info. I'm using Egg charcoal and also a brand suggested by our butcher. Both have proven to work well except in a couple intances which sounds like I didn't wait long enough. I use an electric starter and don't use lighter fluid or any chemical starters. I'll try being a little more patient and see if it fixes my problem.
    Thanks!!!
    Jon
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    I love the whiz. He is like a wine guy with the charcoal.

Who knew they had Kingsford from Argentina.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    That acrid taste can come from two different things, not waiting until the VOCs burn off, and/or, letting heavy amounts of grease drip into the fire and burn, coating your food, and fouling the lump coal. HTH.