Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cookbooks

BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know there are many available recipes on this site and links to others, but I was wondering if anyone has a tried and true cookbook they use on a regular basis.

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I love my Dinosaur BBQ and Steve Raichlen's Barbecue Bible cookbook, personally. For all-around cooking, not many can beat The Joy of Cooking.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Yes Living Cookbook and the 5000+ recipes I have gathered over five years from this wonderful forum and other BBQ sites. Happy to share if interested. It is PC based.

1 I have been using Living Cookbook since 10/04 and have been eggstremely happy with it. Currently have 5000+ BBQ/BGE related recipes that I will be happy to share. Here is a lnk to the Naked Wizard's $3 coupon. They are PC based and there is currently NOT a Mac version.
    2 http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lcookbook.htm
    3 Here is a link to a recipe software review I came across a few years ago.
    4 http://cookbook-recipe-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
    5 Here is a link to the Living Cookbook. They have a free demo that lets you play 25 times. Just do not close it each time and will work until you buy it.
    6 http://www.radiumforums.com/products.html
    7 In my opinion, $$$ well spent.
    8 Copy and paste recipes is a breeze. Contact me off-line if you have more questions.
  • Dale
    Dale Posts: 41
    Man, I have about 200 on my bookcase, but for the money, get a Cooks Illistrated subscription, better yet, buy the digest for the entire year.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Richard is being modest. I think he has 10 to 12 thousand now.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    BeerBQ,
    I have several bbq books but the ones I use most are written by Ray Lampe aka "Dr. BBQ" I have all three of his books and pre-ordered his fourth. Check out his website www.drbbq.com I can honestly say that every recipe I have used from his books come out great. I have not been disappointed.
    ~Pharmeggist
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    BeerBQ,

The best book by far is the CIA textbook. (Culinary Institute of America.) That has the basis of all forms of cooking. It is a dry read but every question you have is answered there.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    400 Barbecues by Beverly Jollands...and about 1500 photos...available on amazon for 12-23 dollars...great directions...i picked up a copy at the Big Box Book store for $4.99 where all their grilling books were on sale.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Grasshopper
    Grasshopper Posts: 108
    I agree I have read Dr. BBQ's cookbook and really enjoy the tales and the receipes.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Eggzactly what richard Fl said ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hoss's BBQ
    Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    As a professional chef I have many more then you can imagine. Escoffier's Le Guide is one of my favorites for basic cookery techniques. This along with the Culinary Institute Of Americia's Pro Chef are often what I turn to for recipies. Now that being said, one of my favorites by a celeberity chef Is The French Laundry Cookbook by Thomas Kellar and Michael Ruhlman (SP). The Fannie Farmer Cookbook is what I trun to when I bake a pie etc. at home
    Now BBQ related I enjoy reading all of Ray's books alot and csn't wait to get the fourth book. I also enjoyed
    Smokestack Lightning Adventures In The Heart Of Barbecue Country was written by Lolis Eric Elie which the Virginian turned me on to.
    Finally Culinary Artistry by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page is a great resource to learn about flavors taste profiles. Sorry this was so long Hoss
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Wow! Thanks to all that replied. I hope to be the proud owner of a LBGE in about a week and a half! I will post many picks of my creations. Thanks again!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Thanks Hoss, not at all to long, great info and thanks.
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Great thread. I'll definetly be checking all of these out.

I'd like to add 'King of the Q's Blue Plate BBQ' by Ted Reader to the list. Really great recipes in here that include quail in a Jagerbomb sauce, smoked ribs in a BBQ praline crust, maple syrup marinated boneless pork ribs in a Jim Bean BBQ sauce among many others. He gives you recipes for rubs, sauces, dressings, salads, desserts and beverages as well. Might pick this one up for my dad and say its a late fathers day gift.
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Ted is a good friend of BGE and has one in his back yard. He's crazy creative with his recipes.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ