Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

could not reach high temp

Options
Marvelous
Marvelous Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried a steak tex method just for my self. I put a smaller amount big green coal and also used left over un burned coal. I was able to reach 620 on the dome temp. was it because not enough coal and or used some of the coal that was not totally burned last time I used the egg. My sear was ok and meat came out very rare had to put it in again for a couple of minutes all in all it was pretty good thanks

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Most likely, you had some small pieces of lump left from the previous burn that were clogging some of the holes in your grate. That prevented full air flow and limited your temperature. Not that 620* is anything to sneeze at...
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Wow, that is pretty hot to me. Seems like 600deg would be good for searing. I havent gotten the nerve to go beyond 500 yet.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I had mine up to 1,000* once, for a cleaning cook. It worked. In spades. Cleaned the gasket right off, too. :evil:
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Probably blew out your thermometer too! I heard if you go that high it ruins it.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Nope, I'm using a Tel-Tru 200-1000* unit. It'll do 1,000* intermittantly. Don't try that with a BGE unit.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Anything above 600 is a waste of time and fuel. Plus you run the risk of toasting a gasket.

Having said that and if you insist on replacing the gasket make sure that holes in the fire grate are not clogged with smaller pieces of lump. A wiggle stick made of a metal coat hanger will clean out the holes. Make sure the bottom opening in the firebox lines up with the bottom vent and lastly leave the top off.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Mostly a rumor. I've had mine wrapped all the way around close to 100* again - probably in the 900-100* range - a few times. A couple times on purpose, a couple times it just sort of 'happened'. Has not needed calibration in a long long time.

I suppose you could damage it, but I don' think it is all that common.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    620 dome is plently. The rest of your details are sketchy at best. No rest time, no thickness, no prep. Don't give up just ask more questions.

Mike
  • Marvelous
    Options
    steak 2 inches porterhouse searwed for 100 seconds per side rested 10 minutes temmp went down to 450 put back in for 2 minutes per side steak was very rare put back in T 500 FOR 1 MIN PER SIDE ENDEDMEDIUM Rre very good tasting
  • PedroWuzHere
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how long had the meat been out of your refrigerator? If the coals were a mass of glowing "lava", you can get a great sear. If the steak was "too cold" you will have to spend way too much time baking the steak & over cooking your seared portion. Just a thought...
  • Marvelous
    Options
    had the steak vacume wrapped left out of fridge about i hour hI used some of the leftover charcoal and used a small amt of new coal because I was cooking for one I appreciate your response
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    2" thick, 2 mins per side at 450... yep, rare. Needed 3-4 mins per side for medium.