Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Roast Question

Options
Mitch's Oh Yeah!
Mitch's Oh Yeah! Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've noticed my local grocery store has started carrying Flat Iron Roasts. I picked up a 3.5 pounder and would like to slow cook it.

Can this cut of meat be smoked like a brisket for hours and hours?

Thank you.

Mitch's Oh Yeah!

Comments

• Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    While not directly an answer to your question, be sure to look at this thread and the link therein for some good info.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=465427&catid=1
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I would say you could smoke it - but hours and hours may be a stretch since they are rarely more than 24 ounces, at least what I see available in my area. Even cooked at 250 I would think they would reach 190+ in 90 minutes or less. They are fairly thin.

They are also not as fatty as a brisket, so I don't think they would benefit from such a cook, any more than a strip steak or sirloin steak would. I have never done it, but I would guess that it would wind up tough and dry.

They make a fine steak if cooked as one, but a low and slow cook may not be the best treatment for one.
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    I think we need to distinguish between flat iron STEAKS, which are thin, flat and weigh less than 1.5#. I've never seen the ROAST, but at 3.5#, it would be considerably different. Since the steak comes from the chuck, which is part of the shoulder, I would guess that the roast also comes from the shoulder. A general rule-of-thumb is that any roast from any animal's shoulder has the most fat of any cut and should be able to be cooked lo-n-slo. The hours will depend on size, temp, etc. The final temp should be 195-210. Good luck, and let us know what happened.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The steaks are just the roast cut in two to remove the connective tissue than runs down the middle.

I've cooked a pretty fair share of flat irons and they aren't real fatty.
  • Mitch's Oh Yeah!
    Options
    I cut the roast in half, removed the membrane and marinated the steaks a half day in olive oil, my Mitch's Oh Yeah Spice, dijon mustard, fresh rosemary and a splash of soy. I cooked them direct at about 400 for 8-10 minutes and they were delicious.

I'll be buying this cut again.

Thank you for the feedback.

Mitch's Oh Yeah!
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    I get the full topblade roast in the cryovac. It cuts into two flat iron steaks by filetting out the center connective tissue "ridge". I did a "top blade" roast in my first cook with the topblade, but, for me trimming it into the flat iron steaks is the way to go for tenderness. (the roast was good too). Try this link. It shows how the flat iron was "born": http://ard.unl.edu/rn/0302/steak.html Thanks rc