Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey on a Large BGE

Options
BierMugg
BierMugg Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What size turkey will fit on a Large Egg ? and how long will it take to Cook?[p]Thanks
George

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    BierMugg,
    My first turkey was a 17 lb came out perfect!
    Second one was 20 pounder and came out so well that my son in law, who hates turkey, actually raved about how good it was (he's a good boy!)
    Subsequent turkeys have been every bit as good as the first two. I did them on an upright wire roaster. The only thing you need to watch out for is the juice when you cut into Mr. Tom. Make sure you have a fairly deep dish under him to catch the juice for making gravy. I usually just smear him with butter and a little paprika. Moist and tender and brown!

• BierMugg, I did a 26.3 pounder last Thanksgiving - no problem. To make sure the dome thermometer wouldn't poke it I would pull it out until I got the lid down and then put it back.

• Berky
    Berky Posts: 21
    Options
    BierMugg,
    I have done a few turkeys on my large bge, and they have all turned out terrific! I usually set the temp at 350 and, much like a conventional oven, they took between 3 and 3.5 hours. Use the meat thermometer and you will be delighted.
    The best way I have found is to stuff the inside of the bird with some cut up apples and use apple wood for the smoke. A little olive oil on the skin to crisp it up and you are laughing!
    Berky

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    BierMugg,[p]Like kat, I did a 26 pounder last Thanksgiving... and I'll tell you, that is one large critter.
    It was just too big to go onto the grill extender so it went into a vrack on the main grid with a drip pan and a little water to keep the drippings from burning.
    First rubbed the bird with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper and in the egg at 450 for 20 minutes and dropped to 350 for the rest of the cook.
    Took 5 hours for the breast to reach 170 and thigh 185.
    The skin came out a crispy mahogany and the drippings made for a rich, smokey gravy that even the pickier eaters loved.

Turkey is very easy and turns out very good on the egg.[p]WD[p]

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    BierMugg,
    The largest one I did was between 25 and 30 pounds. I used a vertical turkey roaster and sprayed it with Pam instead of getting butter all over. I have cooked with and without a drip pan under it. I didn't see much difference. To echo someone else, make sure your temperature gauge doesn't stick into the bird. Also make sure it isn't plugging your top vent hole. I used a digital thermometer and when it hit 180 degrees, it was done. It took about 4 hours. I have also used either apple chips or hickory chunks. I didn't notice much difference. Happy cooking!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    BierMugg,
    As you can see, everyone does a turkey a little differently.
    The large will hold just about any size turkey you can find. Obviously, on a really large bird, you'll have to either pull the thermometer back a bit or not do it standing up.
    Personally, I lay mine on the grill with a drip pan below it. I tried the v-rack and didn't like the way the finished bird came off the rack.
    At 350* you can count on 3-3.5 hours. Just have a good thermometer in the bird to tell you when it's time to eat!

• BierMugg, et al,[p]I just finished cooking a very successful Boston Butt (pork) following Elder Ward's procedure over 18 hrs. Now I am wondering if anyone has ever tried slow cooking a turkey, say at between 195 and 205 degrees. If so, how much time was required and were the results satisfactory?