Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Louis Spare Ribs

Options
PhilsGrill
PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I watched a YouTube video of how to cut spare ribs St. Louis style. Question... what do you do with the meat that is cut off? Do you really have to cut this off? So far I haven't.

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Most folks cook it along side of the ribs. I call it quality control. As far as, Do you really have to cut this off?, No, unless you are in competition. I leave mine on and even though the extra meat doesn't allow uniformity, I have yet to see anyone turn them down.Haha.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    You do not have to cut the tips off. The cut meat is called a rib tip and they are smoked the same way as your ribs. St Louis style makes for a better looking rib IMO. Good luck,Tom
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I cook it with the rest of the ribs. It's usually done around the 3 hr mark for the small bits. If you got ribs with the bone across the top, that part will be done around the time when the ribs are done.

Cut up the trimmings and server them on toothpicks while everyone is waiting for the main course. My kids love it!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I cook the trimmings separately and then chop the meat and freeze it for use later in ABTs, chili, beans, etc.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I trim em up, and cook a few of the thinner pieces with the ribs. They get done sooner, and become an appetizer before the ribs are done. The rest of the trimmings I vacuum seal, freeze and cook as a meal some other time.