Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back in business.....

AuburnTiger
AuburnTiger Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got in my replacement bottom ceramic piece yesterday and put it together last night. Ready to start cooking again after 3 weeks of nothing. Its nice having a girlfriend who works from a BGE distributor here in town, got it for $183 total.

Comments

• ProPhotoGA
    ProPhotoGA Posts: 24
    War Eagle!!!

AT, how did the bottom get broken? We just finished our
    table for our LBGE and will be putting it in it's new
    nest this evening. Had to wait for the last(6th) coat
    of Spar Urethane to dry. Will be cooking a couple of
    chickens this evening and have 2 6lb briskets to cook
    this weekend.

Gene
  • War Damn Eagle!

It was an accident im still kicking myself when I handed over the credit card. I posted it earlier with no pictures as I didnt want anyone else to cry.

I was moving the large bge from my back concreted patio around the house to the garage as I was going to put it under more of an underhang because rain was about to come and I was gonna cook on it for awhile. Well in the process which ive done 20 or so times moving it around, I was pulling it(first mistake) and one of the wheels got snagged in the concrete line where three angles came togther and well the nest topples over and it was either a broken leg or breaking the bottom. Cracked and crumbled into 7-8 big pieces with my hand on the top while it went down or I would have paid for an entire new one.

Sucks cause I was going to buy a medium, still doing here soon and it would have been nice to put the $183 into that instead of wasting it away.
  • War Eagle!
    Sad story. Happy ending.
  • Auburn tiger - I broke the bottom of mine in very similar circumstances. I was lucky and was able to JB Weld mine back together, it broke into five pretty large pieces. I had moved it many times before over much rougher terrain with no problems. In my by no means expert opinion:

1: The wheels on the nest are way too small and can/will catch on cracks, bumps etc. that you would not expect to be a problem.
    2: The nest should be used to move the egg a short distance only to sweep underneath, etc. not for long distances.

This is not a criticsm of the BGE company, (lest I get flamed to death here) just the facts as I see them. There are others who disagree, I know, but I will be carrying my egg (with help) rather than rolling it for moves of any distance. As a matter of fact, I believe I'll get rid of the nest altogether and build a cart. I personally would not roll my egg down the runway the Space Shuttle uses (supposedly the flattest/smoothest in the world) on the nest at this point.

and by the way... GO DAWGS!!
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    What did you do to the base? I guess I missed something.

Gene
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Pulling is not a mistake. Pulling is much better than pushing, as it allows you some possibility of catching the Egg if it starts to go over. The only thing you can do while pushing is watch or go over with it..