Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Amateur Catering

Options
Braddog
Braddog Posts: 212
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This weekend I cooked for 30-40 folks who are building new homes in the neighborhood that my wife is selling. This was as close as I’ve ever come to catering an event for someone else. Sure I’ve manned the grill or brought a variety of things to BBQ’s that I’ve attended. And of course I’ve cooked for family gatherings and the like. However, this was an event where I acquired everything, prepared it, and served a large gathering of folks that I don’t actually know.

I really do enjoy watching others enjoy the fruits of my cooking, but after this I’m not sure I’d want to do it for more than just the occasional shindig.

Anyway, here's a shot of one of the briskets

2583366780102898903S425x425Q85.jpg

Cheer,
Braddog

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yes the occasional shindig...

i had a friend tell me something one day and i did not believe him until it was to late

"Never get paid for a hobby. It will be a job then and no longer as enjoyable"

words to live by now ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Braddog
    Options
    That's good advice. I have a whole new appreciation for some of the guys on here who do it for money.

Braddog
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I'm glad your wife is selling homes, will she list mine. :ohmy:
    Makes you nervous doesn't it? Sounds like you did fine. When you start charging the pressure mounts. No one complains about free food.
    Brisket looks good.

Mike
  • Braddog
    Options
    Sure does, but do you know what makes the diners nervous? When you don't eat anything you've prepared! :)

Usually after I messed with it all night, the last thing I want to do is eat any of it.

Braddog
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i was wondering if i was the only one who thought that way :lol:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Funny you mentioned that. The last party I catered called for 12 slabs of babybacks and beans. Only 36-50 people. I was asked to stay for drinks. Heck yes, many people ask me, "have you cooked so many ribs you don't want any". YEA!

Mike
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Just shake your head sadly and explain, "I knew the cow!"

B);)B)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I make it a point to eat what I am serving for just that reason. I try to steer my clients away from stuff I don't like. Luckily there isn't much I won't eat.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I must be the rare breed here. I enjoy cooking whether you are paying for my cooking or not. I actually enjoy it more if you are paying for it.. :woohoo:

I was once asked by a potential employer "What would make you leave a job?" I told him "two reasons come to mind. One my contract ends and two the job is no longer fun."