Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke ring on brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked my 2nd brisket today after I cooked my first last Sunday. I wanted to see how I could improve on it. This one was much better - it had a 1/4" fat cap on it while the other one had been trimmed of most of the cap by the butcher, so this one was much more moist.[p]Through no accomplishment of my own, it turned out wonderfully. The Egg did all the work with the cook taking 11 hours for a 6.3 lb brisket which was rubbed with Gilded Splinters and Dizzy Dust. The polder finished off at 209 degrees. I smoked it with 5 chunks of pecan wood, and I must say that my favorite part was the burnt ends. They were blackened, moist, and crunchy with intense, concentrated flavor. I piled a bunch of them on an onion bun with a little hickory BBQ sauce and I couldn't believe how good it was.[p]Brisket is my new favorite cut of beef for the BGE.[p]I did not notice a smoke ring on either brisket and wondered if that is normal. I had heard in the past about this red ring and am wondering if a smoking temperature below 200 degrees for an extended period of time is what brings this about. Any thoughts from you brisket experts.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Paul B.,
    Congrats on the successful cook! My smoke rings seem to vary, and I have not found a pattern. The one my buddy Kenny and I cooked this weekend had a beautiful 1/4 inch deep ring. I used 3 fat cherry chunks, and a couple sugar maple chunks, and let the smoke thin some before i put the brisket on. Average cooking level temp was prolly around 230. [p]I hear starting with cold meat can help the smoke ring. Check the archives on "thebbqforum.com", as they often have discusions on smoke rings.[p]Brisket is my favorite cook as well. Nothing like it.
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy, thanks for the tip on the smoke ring site.[p]The other cut of meat that I have not tried yet is a Boston butt for pulled pork. I will probably try it this weekend. I was trying to save the most time-consuming for last. I am sure that this will be my favorite cook for pork.[p]How many times do you find that you need to fill up the fire box with new lump for a Boston butt? Do you fill it to the top on all occasions.[p]Thanks for the advice. One of these days I'll be as experienced as you, but in the meantime I'll take all the advice you're willing to give me.

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Paul B.,
    Fill it up to the top of the fire ring, not the fire
    box, but the fire ring. You won't run out.
    Chuck

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I did not get a good smoke ring on my last brisket although I placed a number of chunks of pecan & apple wood around the edge of the fire box. There was plenty of smoke coming out the top for at least an hour and a fair amount of it was coming out where the seal was flattened, so I thought I had plenty of smoke. I had the daisy wheel shut to only a small crack to contain the smoke as much as possible. I was cooking at 250 degrees for about 6 hours but I noticed some unburned wood chunks when I finished the cook.[p]Do you soak your wood first? If so, how long? I have heard different stories on which is best, dry or wet. I know soaked wood will produce a lot more smoke but is it good smoke or bitter smoke?[p]I sure would like to see a nice smoke ring on the one I plan to cook on August 10th. I want to show off my Egg and my cooking skills. Any help / advice would be appreciated.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Spring Chicken,
    I never soak my wood chunks. It just doesn't make sense to me. You want the wood to burn, not smolder. From what I have learned, the thick visible smoke is not really necessary, and I have found if I don't let the smoke thin to a nice thin stream, then the smoke flavor tastes stale to me. Heavy smoke is not needed for a smoke ring.[p]I think the lump alone will even give you a good smoke ring. If there is a layer of fat, then you will prolly not get a smoke ring on that side. Cool meat helps. And maybe starting at 220 and working up to 250 will help. Like I said though, I have not had consistent results, and still have plenty to learn on this subject. Hopefully others join the discussion![p]Cheers, Springmang!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Personally, I soak my chips / chunks in water at least a half hour before putting on the coals. I get a decent fire going, then put on the smoking chips I will use, then the grill and meat go on. I keep the temp below 200° for about a half hour, then slowly bring the egg up to my cooking temp (usually another half hour).[p]One thing I forgot to mention. I usually will put my meat in the freezer for an hour before I put it on the grill. That was a suggestion a forum member gave me and it seems to work very well.[p]Good luck[p]Cajun
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Spring Chicken:[p]My best smoking is from dry wood chips or chunks of wood that have been chopped into smaller pieces. I smoke at low temperatures for about thirty minutes to an hour to assure good absorption before raising the temperature for cooking.
    [/b]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    A lot of smoke and size of smokering are not one and the same. It is the nitrates in the burn that create the ring.
    Taking the brisket from the frig and keeping the pit temps low the first 3 to 4 hours should do the job for you.
    Soaking won't help with ring and you can go bitter in taste.
    If you start at pit temps of 200 to 225º and stay that way for 4 hours you should be fine.
    Jim

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Jim:[p]Had any interesting cooks on your new BGE yet?
    [/b]
  • Unknown
    Options
    djm5x9,
    With the help of CW in doing some repair right now and I have a catering for 75 this Saturday, so I hope to up and cooking by Monday.
    Jim

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    Thanks Jim. If it works I'm going to make like I knew that all along. [p]Spring Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    djm5x9,
    What you say makes sense.[p]Spring Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Cajun,
    I tried it with soaking one time but it didn't work for me. It could be that I was cooking at a higher temperature from the start, and was using near room temperature meat. The cooler meat just may do the trick. [p]From what I gather, there is more than one way to achieve the perfect brisket. I think I will try them all.[p]Thanks[p]Spring Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    No doubt there is much to learn and I plan to learn as much as possible. [p]I have determined that three things are very important in the process of cooking anything on the Egg.
    1. You want it to taste good
    2. You want predictability with no surprises
    3. You want consistency in all your cooks[p]I know my body and clothes can pick up the wonderful aroma of a wood-burning fireplace in just a few seconds of placing another log on the fire, regardless of the amount of smoke being generated. I guess that proves that a smoke flavor can be obtained without a heavy dose of smoke.[p]I suddenly feel so smart.[p]Spring Chicken

• Buck
    Buck Posts: 21
    Options
    Paul B.,
    I read in an earlier post that smoke will not absorb into your meat after a surface temp of over 120 deg. Like many of the others stated low temps to start with. I start my brisket at 180 deg. with 6 good size chunks of pecan, for an hour before raising the temp to about 220. This works well for me, and gives a good smoke ring where there is no fat. I hear that cherry wood will give a darker ring as well. Good luck.

• Nature Boy,
    What's the significance of a visible smoke ring? I usually see one when I do brisket on the Weber water smoker.[p]Hope to have a ceramic cooker some time soon.[p]pastor_chuck