Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yummiest T-bones

gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
FathersDayTbone.jpg

I've been buying beef cuts from some near-by organic farmers for a few years. Even their burger is most delicious. The elders are retiring, and the younger folks are changing methods just a bit. Really thick steaks are now available.

Pictured above is a 2" T-bone, hot tubbed for an hour at 125, then seared at 700+ for 2 miutes a side. Rubbed with some DP Cowlick, the flavor is still in my mouth an hour later. Allow me to suggest that if you have a similar farmer at hand, the additional expense and trouble will give you a meal most excellent.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Looks like you enjoyed it.

I was at a farmer's market last week and ran into a small beef producer. I got his info and he told me he will be there every week. I may just give his beef a whirl.

Thanks for the advice.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Last week-end, my brother-in-law and I had the delight of steaks from our newest in-law reletive's free-range beef. The cook kind of singed them a bit, but the flavor was remarkable. The steak I made today from another farmer really was without compare.

Take a chance one the beef you found. I've not had any bad meat from local farmers, and this most recent batch seems to be at the top.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    I'd like to chew on that bone. Very Nice. I'm with you support your locals
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Nice steak there--it almost took up the entire plate!
  • Wow, the T-bone looks perfect and I bet it tastes even better. I'm a newbie (did my first pork butt today) and I want to fix a Forentine Steak....a 2 to 2.5 inch Porterhouse. Needless to say, I don't want to screw up such a nice piece of meat. When you do the reverse sear technique (or whatever you call it), how do you know how long to 'hottub' it before the sear?????
    eanie meanie
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    All the beef and pork we use if from a local farmer. I can not stand store bought. It is like a watered down drink! :angry: We are really getting spoiled with it. Looking for a chicken source now and we will be all set :)