Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning to grill a 7lb beef tenderloin on Sunday. looking for suggestions taking into consideration the following. we have several out of town family members that will be hitting the road shortly after the meal, which is after church. I don't want to be holding up the meal by having the loin on the Egg for hours. So I assume I have the following options:

1. prepare tenderloin on Egg indirect before church. Remove it, and lower temp to 200. get home, and reheat at 200 to 250 for 15 min.
2. light Egg before I leave and get it to 200. get home and crank it up to 650. Cook it hot on each side for 3 min like a steak, and shut down the heat letting it roast for another 20 min or so.

Again, looking for suggestions on how to properly handle. Appreciate it.

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I personally would cut it into 2 inch fillets and hot sear them and then medium to finish. This will allow you to cook them for each guests tastes individually. The tenderloin has little fat and the risk of drying it out cooking it whole would concern me. I would feel different if it were a prime rib roast that has a lot of fat. I have seared these many times and they come out excellent!!!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I agree. Even if you cook whole it isn't a long cook.

100_0756.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    I rarely do one that big - I usually do about half of a whole - but find that roasting indirect at 350 for 45 minutes produces a nice result. Thicker ones might need a little more but the length doesn't matter. I use my Thermopen to check, pulling at 125. Seasoning is usually salt, onion powder, coarse pepper, and a light wash of worcestershire.