Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Question (made first pizza tonight)

Options
Vogs
Vogs Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made my first pizza on the egg tonight. Turned out OK. The crust was a little under cooked. The cheese and topping were good. I preheated the plate setter for 20 minutes until it reached 550 deg. I then put the pizza stone on for 10 minutes. I then put the pizza on. The crust was raw and under cooked. Should I let the stone preheat longer next time to get a crisper crust? Is it possible that the home made pizza dough was not made properly( I followed direction and seemed OK). Any suggestions on how to get a crisper crust would be appreciated.[p]Thanks,
Voges

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Vogs,[p]I recommend that you heat the pizza stone longer. You want the conductive heat properties of the ceramic to work for you, or in other words, bake the bottom of the pie. 10 minutes at 550°F is just not enough time to get the stone hot enough to allow the heat to transfer from the stone to the dough in a timely manner (conduction). You want the heat from the wall and dome of the Egg (radiation), along with the hot airflow (convection), to bake the top of the pie and the toppings. Conduction, radiation and convection are the fundamental heating principles at work in a brick oven, and this is why the ceramic smoker properly setup can bake some damn good breads and pizzas. [p]... and yes you can get the pizza stone too hot, which usually means a burnt bottom prior to the toppings being done. It's a balancing act that requires practice to get to know your Egg with your setup to bake your pizza.[p]Keep at it,
    Puj

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Puj,
    If you get the stone too hot, though, you can use the damp rag trick:

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Pizza Page[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Absolutely.[p]Puj
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Vogs,
    On the average, we did great! I burned crust on mine, but toppings were just right. I did my first last night, actually made three small. Nothing stuck to the peel or the stone, though, and they were "OK" so on my way.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Vogs,
    I suggest heating the plate setter and stone together. Everything else sounds fine.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Vogs,[p]You have two choices. Cook longer, in which you risk burning the toppings. Cook at a higher temp, for the same length of time. I find, with my pizza dough recipe, that cooking at 650 is perfect. 600 causes the problem you are noticing and 700 doesn't fully melt the cheese, at the point the dough is done.[p]--sdb[p]