Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt, I hope ya\'ll are right!!! UPDATE!!!!

Options
Snuffy
Snuffy Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm 6 hours into a cook of a pork butt thats 9 lbs. The dome has varied form 250 to 300. The Maverick says 181 for the butt. I hope ya'll are right about the plateau but I haven't seen any signs of it yet. :(
I pulled the Butt at 200 degrees in just a shade under 12 hours. It turned out great and we had it for dinner. It only had 1 very small bone so that may explain why it got done so quick. Sorry there are no pics my cameras dead. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    6 hours seems a little soon to be at 180deg. That is the right temp for a plateau though.
    Do you know why the dome temp fluctuated?
    DO you not use the grid probe on the Maverick?
  • Snuffy
    Options
    The grid probe is flakey there suppose to be sending me a new probe. The dome has varied for a couple of reasons but 50 degrees doesn't seem like to much drift but I'm new so I don't know. The wind is blowing some and the outside temp is in the 90's. I have calibrated the dome thermometer so I know its right. Thae bottom draft is open about a 1/4 and the daisy pedals are cracked maybe an 1/8 of an inch.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've had 2 big pork picnics finish much earlier than I expected. I had a 9 pounder finish in just over 12 hours, and an 8+ pounder reach 198 in under 10 hours. I couldn't believe the 8 pounder was done, but when I grabbed the bone to start moving it, the bone almost fell out.

So, sometimes they are really quick.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Maybe I am just lucky, but my temp (dome &/or grid) stays within a 5deg range for 12 hours when doing low and slow...usually around 235deg grid.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Snuffy,

Check to see if your temperature probe isn't hitting the bone...otherwise, it looks like you'll be eating sooner than expected.
  • Snuffy
    Options
    Well I'm at 8 1/2 hours now meat temp is 188 dome is 260. I'm not gonna look umtill I reach 200 then I'll double check the Maverick with my calibrated meat themometer. If its REALLY done I guess I either had the egg to hot for to long or there just wasn't as much fat to break down. It is a very meatey butt and it doesn't seem to have a ton of fat.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Well this begs the question. You sure it's a Pork Butt and not a Pork Loin Roast

The former is very marbled and the latter not.

If you are sure it's the former try moving the meat probe. It should be in muscle, but if it's in fat or near the bone it will register higher then it really is.
  • Snuffy
    Options
    I hate to open it but I think I'll use my trusty meat themometer and just see if its the Maverick.
  • Snuffy
    Options
    The meat probe for the Maverick is right on the money per my trusty meat themometer. It is a butt but a VERY lean butt. There was very little fat on the fat side and hardly any on the rest of it.It came from Wally World and its a Tyson brand Butt. I was planing to be done about midnight but it looks like it will be ready about 7 or 8. I'll let everyone know how it turns out but it looked great.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I will bet it's been "Enhanced" then

That means it's been pumped up with a 15-20% Saline Solution.