Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apply Finish to Eggmate?

Options
civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Even though the wood is cedar, has anyone applied urethane or some other finish to the wood slats or does everyone just let them naturally weather?

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I took mine off, carefully numbered them, and then cleaned them up with coarse & fine grit sandpaper. After that I applied 3 coats of "Instant Dry" lacquer (Ace Hardware) sanding lightly between coats. I was very pleased with the results but I'll probably sand and apply a few coats from time to time.
    CuriousGeorge.jpg
    Gator1.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Wow, very nice indeed.
    I chose to let mine "weather naturally" although I do keep it covered. My reasoning was that they will be getting dirty from tongs, beer cans, grill brushes, etc anyway....and I can always replace them if they get too bad.
    However, now I am rethinking that a little.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I used spar urethane on mine. Looks good, beats the weather good, and cleans up good. What more could you ask for?
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Thanks for all your help. I will add applying finish to the wood slats on to my To do list. :unsure:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    mne will never look that good but i guess i need to do what you did... thanks ;)

cause mine look terrible.. this will be my first woodworking project so.....

superbowl08002.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Buck i Nuts
    Options
    ...you finally going to cook on that thing? What's it been 2-3 hrs without a cook...what's wrong with you man....the Egg should never get below 200 unless it's out of coal ! Had to get you back for the hard time the other day.....best damn egger I know ! :laugh: :woohoo: ;)